Tumbleweed Shredder

vah1941March 12, 2007

I live in west Texas where tumbleweeds (TWs) accumulate after one of our frequent windy days. With very limited capability to burn them (city & county ordinances), most are hauled to the dump intact. Shredded, their volume could be reduced 50x-100x!! TWs can reach 5' and more in diameter, resulting 3-4 completely filling a dumpster. I have rented a typical chipper/shredder and found that it is virtually impossible to force a large TW into the small throat. What I need is a shredder with a large throat. I have heard of an agricultural hay shredder, but have not found one that looks like it will do the job. any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maineman(z5a ME)

vah1941,

Shredders with large throats are going to be large themselves, and they will have large prices. This "Big Brute" MacKissic shredder-chipper has a comparatively large throat for its 48-hammer shredder, and it sells for $4479.95, but I doubt that even its large throat could swallow one of those huge West Texas tumbleweeds. I've seen those things, dodged a few with our minivan, and some of them are like small trees!

I think you are going to have to "pre-process" those huge tumbleweeds to knock them down into pieces small enough to feed to a more affordable shredder-chipper. I guess you could drive over them with a Monster Truck, but who has one of those?

I would probably just attack them with a big lopper pruner and cut most of the individual limbs off of the central "trunk". I do the same thing with the tops of large bushy trees that I feed to my MacKissic shredder-chipper. I actually would feed some of them to the chipper chute, with the rest going into the shredder chute.

If the lopper-pruner approach was too slow, you could attack the tumbleweeds with one of those buzz saw blades on a weed whacker or brush cutter tool. Actually, I would use one of the Stihl trimmer blades because I would probably use one of the Stihl trimmers or Stihl brush cutter/clearing saws. I have been very impressed with my Stihl MS-361 chain saw, so I would tend to choose another Stihl product.

MM

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 3:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
High_Desert_Drifter

Good ideas Maineman! Out here in the high desert area of Southern California, we got a bumper crop of these tumbleweeds. I used your idea of lopping them off at the
base (root). Let them dry out (in about a week) and then crush (brittle by this time) or shred them. Then you can bag the debris in trash bags easily and haul them away.

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Electrolytic Rust Removal
Has anyone tried this, using a battery charger, "washing...
exmar
Deep Spader
Has anyone used a deep spader? How did you like it?...
svachon
Old Troybilt Tiller Engine Replacement
I need to replace the eninge on my Troybilt tiller...
themaniam1
Mantis Tiller purge bulb
I cannot get gasoline to come into the purge bulb....
Alice40
Harbor Freight small utility tralier question
I just purchased this harbor freight trailer. http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html I...
rlmunsey
Sponsored Products
TMNT Leonardo Peel & Stick Giant Decal
$11.99 | zulily
TSM Products 64103 No. 22 Electric Meat Grinder Multicolor - 64103
$599.99 | Hayneedle
Sun Joe 'Blower Joe' 3-in-1 Electric Blower/ Vacuum/ Leaf Shredder (Refurbished)
Overstock.com
TSM 32603 5 Tray D5 Stainless Steel Dehydrator with Stainless Steel Shelves Mult
$428.99 | Hayneedle
TSM 32752 5pk Food Grade Plastic Dry Screen Multicolor - 32752 5PK
$49.99 | Hayneedle
TMNT Peel & Stick Decals
$9.49 | zulily
TMNT Donatello Peel & Stick Giant Decal
$13.99 | zulily
Auto Feed 75-sheet Micro Cut Shredder
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™