Gilson Tiller

zenwilMarch 31, 2011

Hi, I recently came across a good deal on an Old Gilson tiller. I can't find a model name or number on it. There is a stamped serial number plate but no model number. The engine is a Craftsman 3HP, but may not be original. If anyone can help me identify it, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks for any info you may have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
javert

Gilson made tillers for a number of retailers - Montgomery Wards, Sears, Western Auto, and probably others. I have an owners manual for the Wards 1580-F Gilson tiller, which was equipped with a 5-hp engine. The tiller portion shown in your pictures looks similar, but the handle bars are a different design. If you had signed up to let GardenWeb forward e-mail messages to you, I could have sent you an electronic version of the MW owners manual - but ....

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 11:05PM
zenwil

Hi Javert,

Thanks for the info. I had found out about MW but not Sears or WA.

I have changed my settings to allow e-mails. Just signed up yesterday and still learning. So if you check back on this thread and are still willing to send the owners manual, I would appreciate it.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 9:41AM
ggoyeneche

I believe you have a Gilson 1572A. Correct engine is Briggs 100000 series 4hp. Never came with Craftsman/Tecumseh even when built for Sears. You also need two-groove pulley to operate reverse.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
loger_gw
General craftsman tiller gearbox question.
Ages ago in the early 90's, I bought a Craftsman 5hp...
bliackbeard
Old Troybilt Tiller Engine Replacement
I need to replace the eninge on my Troybilt tiller...
themaniam1
Have Chipper/Shredder for trade
I have a very nice gas powered wood chipper/leaf shredder...
charlieboring
Stihl Chainsaw - starts but won't run
My trusty (10 yr) old Stihl 16" chainsaw is starting...
uberfusion
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™