Trailing perennials to plant wall pockets

butterclem(z6 W.PA)April 16, 2007

Hi,

Now that everyone has helped me narrow down my "steppable" plants in my new garden, I wonder if I could have your input on the plants I will put in a stone wall? The wall is about 3 feet high and 12 feet long; the stones are huge. I don't want yellow flowers. And I don't want anything too rampant to handle, though obviously I can reach every inch of a 3-foot wall, which helps.

Here is a list of things I've looked at. I certainly don't have room for all of these; I figured if people told me the ones they love best in their own walls,I could prioritize. An excellent local perennial nursery is going out of business and selling everything this Saturday (a very sad day). This will help me get ready. Here's the list:

Campanula cochlearifolia

Campanula elatinoides

Campanula portenschlagiana

Campanula poscharskyana

Delasperma kooperi

Delasperma kelaidis

Hens and chicks

Iberis Autumn Beauty

Oregano vulgare "Aureum"

Sedum rupestre Angelina

Sedum spurium fulda glow

Sedum Vera Jameson

Sedum dragonÂs blood

Veronica prostrate goldwell

Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

"Biokovo" geranium. Foliage *always* stays tidy (some short geranium get a little ratty IMO as do A LOT of other trailers). Will take sun, shade, moist conditions, dry conditions - I seriously think this plant will grow under just about any condition short of Sarahara-like. Flowers are white with pink veining, quite lovely. Oh, foliage is scented, too, smells like Vernors to my nose. :)

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 4:17PM
bean_counter_z4(Zone 4, Rkfd,IL)

I have a dry stacked stone wall (think that's what it's called). Anyway, a lot of unusual things have volunteered in the pockets and crevices. Nepata, a daylily, and an iris. All three do well and look good.

An episode of Martha Stewart showed her planting sedum in her wall. I tried that with no success. The hen and chicks was so shallow rooted it just kept falling. The dragons blood didnÂt survive the winter.

A friend had the most spectacular wall planted in alyssum Âbasket of goldÂ. It literally stopped traffic when in bloom. The downside was when it was not in bloom.

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 8:20AM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Cerastium tomentosum, "Snow in summer". Silver grey tiny leaves, mat like at the base but sending out tendrils or runners. Supposed to have tiny white flowers, though I have never seen mine bloom.

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 11:37AM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

Thought of another one - ornamental strawberries (fragaria ?spellling?). Foliage is just lovely. I have the non-running types in my garden and I adore them, another one that *always* looks good. Tiny flowers appear alongside tiny berries, pretty effect. Does great in full sun to part shade, but not too dry.

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
Which are organic fertilizers and where to buy them.
I'm looking for some organic fertilizers which can...
ycmahesh
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
How about 'SUPERthrive'?
Anybody use this stuff? I bought it but not sure if...
casi
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
Are Agapanthus hardy in zone 6
Does anyone have experience growing agapanthus in zone...
KarenPA_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™