Question on feeler gauges

exmarMarch 8, 2011

Hi Folks,

It's spring and among other things I'm doing, going to check and adjust the valves on some of the engines. Couldn't find the feeler gauge I usually use, but discovered another one which I'd forgotten I had. I'm used to gauges that have ".oo4" etc. on each feeler. This one just starts with "1" and continues and is about an inch thick with all the gauges it contains. The fellow who gave it to me was a retired machinist and I'm wondering if the "1" is actually ".001?"

The gauge I usually use had been borrowed by my brother one day while I was at work and he'd forgotten to return it. He's currently in bed with pneumonia, so it'll be awhile until he wanders down to his barn to disinter it.

Anyone familiar with gauges that use this marking system?

Thanks,

Ev

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

Take it to a machineshop and see if they will check the thicknesses w/ a micrometer.
mike

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 9:52PM
rcmoser

1 may be equal .001, if so this would be thinner than sheet of paper. so if 1 is like sheet of paper except thinner then it's .001. .1 would be .100 thousands which would be 100 times thicker than piece of paper. Should be obvious. .002 should be marked on the feeler gauge and so on which is about as thick as sheet of paper. Very few feeler gauges start out at .001 that's very thin, usually that start out at.0015 which is 1 and 1/2 thousands. half of a sheet of paper.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 5:13AM
rcmoser

Most common sets of feeler gauges go from .001 to .025. To get 1 you would have stack enough to get one full inch thickness. if you see dicmel point in front of the 1 it would be .1 or .100 or .1000 you would have to put about 5 togather to get that thickness from standard set of feeler gauges.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 5:30AM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

Might also be MM

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 6:00AM
ggoyeneche

I agree probably metric. 1mm approximately .004.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 2:13PM
bill_kapaun

I MM is .03937".
.004" is about 0.1 MM!!!!

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 2:55PM
exmar

Thanks for all the responses. My brother got tired of laying around and dug out my feeler gauge and returned it. At the same time I had errands in town And dropped by a machine shop to see what I had. No Idea. "1" is neither .oo1" or 1mm something in between. Chatting with the guy, I remembered that the fellow who gave me this was a retired machinist who worked for a company who specialized in aluminum parts for airplane engines. He theorized that it was a special gauge for setting up some mill or something. Dunno.

Thanks again,

Ev

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings
I took my horse apart because the front transmission...
gildomilo
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™