Help identify a tree

hput3November 24, 2012

The area the images at the link below is Atlanta GA, at Sweetwater Creek State Park, GA.

The terrain where the tree is growing is very hilly so tree is growing on a hillside. That area gets a fair bit of rain and Sweetwater Creek comes through no more than 1/3 mile from the tree at a few hundred feet lower elevation.

The forest area around that tree is mainly Chestnut Oak, Pignut Hickory, American Beech, and quite a lot of Loblolly pine.

Leaves: The leaves are 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 inch in length and 1 1/2 inches wide.

Leaf edge is smooth, no saw teeth. Its a fairly heavy leaf and is glossy on top side and as you will see in the images it is elegantly beautiful at this time of year..

I wish I had hung my glasses on a twig so viewer could get a good idea of leaf size but at least the dimensions above seem fairly typical all around the tree.

Also note there is a shot of just a section of the trunk, taken at about midway of the tree. It appears to be about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and maybe something like 9 ft tall.

This is apparently a young tree.

Click thumbnails to get

a larger rendering

Here is a link that might be useful: RED LEAF TREE

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thedecoguy

Nyssa sylvatica?

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 2:05AM
esh_ga

Vaccinium arboreum, a large member of the blueberry genus that can be tree-like, often called Sparkleberry.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 7:45AM
hput3

Vaccinium arboreum

Thanks folks, I got one of your answers the same on a forum whos name is not allowed here, when I try to include the link my post is disallowed, but it has the word "garden" in it and the name "Dave's" comes first in lowercase and no apostrophe. Its that sites forum for plant identification.

Also posting another trunk Image. This time the tree is a bit older but the same kind as the other images. This trunk is about 2.5 inches in diameter.

I guess I will have to wait till next year when it will break out with some flowers and fruit to know for sure

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
need help with dahlia ID
Does anyone know the full ID for this dahlia? Just...
toad_ca
please name this plant
Didn't know this plant.please name it. Thanks in advance...
Tabi77
Help ID the 4 Plants in this flower bed
I am trying to ID the plants in this bed. I'm fairly...
btalarczyk
Rosemary exact species name please (Qatar)
Hi Guys Can you please name the exact species of this...
maufie123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™