What's the best leaf mulcher out there?

gingoMarch 25, 2009

I am looking for a leaf mulcher, not the vaccuum type, but the stand-type that you put leaves into. I want to use them for mulching.

I want one that works - seems like reviews on them are mixed. Has anyone got advice on this?

Thanks a heap (of mulch)!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zen_man

I use a MacKissic shredder-chipper because it has a hammermill design that can process a wide variety of materials and you can get accessory screens for it to control the size of the particles that come through. It comes with a standard 1-inch screen, but I purchased several additional screens. I use the ¼" and ½" screens a lot in order to get a fine textured product. I got the optional handle so I could pull it around by hand. It is sort of like a big toy wagon and not too hard to pull on relatively level ground. I took a pass on the optional bag kit. I just scoop the pulverized product out from under the machine with a shovel and dump it into a big plastic basket for transport to a compost bin or to the garden for use as a mulch or garden path covering. You can find more information about current MacKissic products at the MacKissic website. I am not associated with MacKissic in any way except as a satisfied user of their products (I also have a Merry Tiller from them.)

ZM

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 4:23PM
gingo

I'd never heard of that one before. Do you think it mulches enough that I can use the end product for mulching my gardens? Also, is it gas powered?

P.S. Thanks so much for the info, I'll look it up.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 9:02AM
zen_man

gingo,

"Do you think it mulches enough that I can use the end product for mulching my gardens?"

Yes. I have a MacKissic shredder-chipper and it has been very effective at processing leaves into ready-to-use garden mulch. It is also very useful for processing leaves and other stuff for rapid composting.

"Also, is it gas powered?"

Yes. You can click on the hyperlinks in my message above for a lot more information.

ZM

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 11:16AM
gingo

Thank you all so much for the info. I have found the MacKissic and will be ordering one soon.

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 10:05AM
info_leaf-mulcher_org

The Works leaf mulcher is really good. It isn't too big, doesn't look like an ugly piece of construction equipment, and it does the job well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf Mulcher

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 10:58PM
santino

A quote from Inception said that you should not be afraid to dream big. I think that you can always buy a mulcher with an additional vacuum function.This way, you don't need to waste time to gather everything into one place first, and then pass it through the mulch machine. A vacuum-mulcher will too both tasks in the same time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf Vacuum Mulchers

Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 4:06AM
More Discussions
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™