Is 'Jet A' fuel safe for Convection kerosene heater?

mikehendeMarch 7, 2011

Since both Jet A and K1 fuels are "cleaner" kerosene, can I use the Jet A fuel instead in my garage? I found this article on the net but wanted to know if anyone actually uses it?

COMMENT FROM A READER ON "JET A" FUEL

Very few people know that common jet fuel is nothing but more highly refined (read: cleaner) kerosene. It works wonderfully in kerosene heaters, stoves, lamps, and lanterns. I'm an old retired aircraft mechanic and I've handled thousands of gallons of jet fuel. At airports large enough to service jets, you will find that jet fuel is very commonly available. Since the large fuel tanks and fuel trucks at an airport are "sumped" almost daily to remove moisture that can collect at the bottom of a tank, the few gallons drained off frequently is considered waste or close to it. Ask the right people and you might be able to get a few gallons for free. Just check it for a layer of water at the bottom in case it's present. NOTE: Jet A is not the same as JP-4. Do not use JP-4 in a kerosene heater.

Woody

Ed: In northern climes, anti-icing additives are often added at the pump nozzle instead of being pre-mixed with the fuel: Don't get the additives when obtaining Jet A for kerosene heater use. Aviation Fuel - Jet Fuel Information

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alphonse(6)

The citation is substantially correct, Jet A can be used in kerosene fueled devices.
I wouldn't use the term "highly refined"...the difference between JetA and #1 is obtained by ultra filtering.

"Since the large fuel tanks and fuel trucks at an airport are "sumped" almost daily to remove moisture that can collect at the bottom of a tank, the few gallons drained off frequently is considered waste or close to it."

This part is problematic. Although the two have low miscibility, water in your kero WILL cause problems.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 10:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ewalk

Hey perfect trial for RDaystroms Star*tron Product . Ad a few ounces and it's a go . Have used it within my Diesel F-250 and it has shown merits already .

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood” inside?
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood”...
loger_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™