Using Loop Hoe

mary_maxApril 11, 2014

Will a loop hoe work to remove seedlings of Johnny Jump Ups, larkspur, small weeds, small plants like coreopsis, and fever few, black eyed susans, and yellow coneflowers etc that are about an inch or two tall. Will this do the trick or do I have to pull each one. It will be easy work with the hoe if the other way must be done I have hours of work. But... I want it done right. Please let me know. . Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Campanula UK Z8

Absolutely - I LOVE my hoes although my eyes and co-ordination are a bit dodgy with a long-handled job. I keep mine sharp so one concentration fail between the leeks..........disaster. However, I have a little onion hoe, a neat handtool which slices through those annoying weeds. For sure, you might have to have another go-round in a couple of weeks but you are right, a good hoe makes short work of hundreds of annoying plants in hard to reach places. A circle or hoop hoe is a bit more controlled than a draw hoe (in my hands, a dutch hoe is a lethal weapon) but a hoe or a daisy grubber will be practically welded to my hand between now and October.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 5:21PM
emmarene

I use my hoe for that very purpose. Some weeds may need pulled though. I just survey the ground as I walk holding the hoe. When I see new growth I give it a shuffle and leave the green business where it lands. It is small and dries out quickly. It will be easier with time because the soil will still be loose from last time. If a weed has matured and has seed head I don't just leave on the ground, of course. Hope that made sense.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 5:26PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

My loop hoe is one of my favorite tools. Makes very short work of large areas of weeds.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 5:32PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

do you guys ever sharpen a hoe.. to make it easier???

the whole point of any hoe.. is to expose the roots.. long enough that the small plants dries and dies... before it can reroot... i dont understand.. how what plant it is.. could make a difference... putting aside plants with underground runners ...

go for it...

ken

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 5:33PM
mary_max

Thanks to everyone and I was so happy to read your comments . YIPEE!! That tools is so cool! Thanks again.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 5:46PM
Campanula UK Z8

sharpen it - you bet. It is basically a knife....on a stick.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 6:57PM
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

An old farmer friend of mine told me a long time ago: "There is a crucial time when weeds are about an inch or two tall, and the day is dry. Lightly hoeing the ground and undercutting the roots will kill them back for the next few months." One time is all that's needed. But timing is critical.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:22AM
Campanula UK Z8

Another plus - muddling dry soil about with a hoe creates a 'dust mulch' which acts as any mulch, preserving ground water and making removal of surface weeds a doddle.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:45AM
Campanula UK Z8

deleted - dbl post

This post was edited by campanula on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 16:10

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:46AM
More Discussions
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
Achillea sun requirements
I planted a couple of these last year and they were...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Which are organic fertilizers and where to buy them.
I'm looking for some organic fertilizers which can...
ycmahesh
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™