Stihl MS 261 or MS 362

danobattMarch 22, 2011

I have a MS 170 and a MS 660 Magnum and I'm looking for an intermediate saw in a professional grade. I'm stuck on Stihl with my local dealers. Is there a distinctive difference between the 261 and 362 when it comes to reliability? I'm not necessarily looking for a felling saw. It would be primarily used for hardwood.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ewalk

Both Pro Grade I have a MS 260 a few yrs old and a MS 361 just over a yrs old . The 361 or 362 are much better on larger hardwood felling and bucking applications . The 260 and current 261 are very capable also for a 50 cc class saw , I would venture to say probably world class . If you are only cutting 12" to 20 " Maple / Birch then the 261 is more than enough . If you are routinely cutting larger then the 60 cc saw is a must . You can't go wrong with either Model they are excellent choices . If I were to make a final note of advice it would be for a 261 over the 260 and just opposite for the 361 over the newer 362 Model , based on better performance . I have ran all the saws to determine this comparitive performance trend . Good Luck Bro !

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 5:40PM
ladylake(minnesota)

I'd go with the 261 based on it being lighter and not that far behind a 361-362 in cutting speed. You have a 660 for the big stuff. Steve

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 5:16AM
danobatt

I just bought a MS 261. I picked them both up and it was a "no brainer", the weight of the MS 261 was the tipping point for me. Thanks guys.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 12:00PM
ewalk

Dan: I 'm glad you picked the MS-261 it has to be pound for pound the Best Saw on the Market today . My Son's buddies father purchased one last mth and you are right it is hands down a better unit than my 260 and that's an accomplishment . Ensure to use premium syn oil and you will have yrs of faithful service . The weight was not what floored me rather the additional torgue this saw provides over my yr old 260 . Oh well perhaps I will have to upgrade in a few yrs lol .

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Waterproofing a basement
I get water in my basement just about every spring...
huskymaniacny
1983 troy-bilt cultivator plus wheels
Read with great interest all the posts so far for the...
rayleman
Harbor Freight small utility tralier question
I just purchased this harbor freight trailer. http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html I...
rlmunsey
What locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine?
I wanted to see what locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs...
loger_gw
honda snowblower problem
i have a honda 928 snowblower... good machine, but...
rudall
Sponsored Products
Bello Dark Graphite Queen Metal Bed Frame
$399.99 | LuxeDecor
Mr. Steam Residential Steam Generator - SAH3000C1
Modern Bathroom
National Public Seating Music Stand Dolly - 20 Chair Capacity Transport Storage
Beyond Stores
Bibendum Style Chair
IFN Modern
Safavieh Classic CL362C 2'3" x 14' Ivory, Navy Rug
$239.40 | PlushRugs