fan palm?

myro54(9)December 13, 2013

Had a client that has given me many of these, they are about 2 feet tall and seem to grow in bunches. He swares they are baby fan palms but im not so sure. I put some in ground last year and they still look the same othe then one or two more have poped up besides the ones I planted. I contacted a local nursary and he said its two young to identify, what kinda sh*t is that...lol So does anyone know, was my client right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregorson

Aspidistra

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 3:32AM
theplantwizard(Sunset 13)

In which case it's not too young to identify, if you are familiar with the plant. I can see how it could confuse the guy at the nursery, if you start by thinking it's a palm.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 12:48AM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

"I contacted a local nursery and he said its two young to identify, what kinda sh*t is that...lol"

That translates to "I don't know and don't care to admit it".

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 9:31AM
zzackey(8b GA)

I've had that happen to me when I took in a leaf and a berry. She said I needed a big branch of it. Heck, I could ID stuff with just a leaf and a berry and I wasn't a nurseryman. Of course I never went there again. It is what is commonly called a cast iron plant. Very easy to care for and it spreads.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 6:42PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I believe your client is wrong.

Aspidistra (Cast Iron plants, which this appears to be) are unrelated to palms.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 11:54AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

If you do a Google Images search on ' palm seedlings ' and you'll see why there is confusion. Add the physical similarities to the fact that Aspidistra spreads by rhizomes rather than seed fall and that fan palms (and other palms) drop seeds by the zillions. Seedlings crop up looking like grass, then reeds, then Aspidistra before they differentiate into something that begins to look more palm like.

That this plant is two feet tall is one indicator that it's Aspidistra. At that size, most palms begin to look a little more like palms.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
Silk flower NOID #3
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Name of festuca please
I'm looking for a green festuca that would grow in...
plquality
Flowering Vine/plant Identification
Have had this plant for years, seldom blooms, but it...
ehgraham
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Joe_Pye
Silk flower NOID #2
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™