nailer recommendation?

rickd59March 5, 2010

Hello everyone. I have two jobs coming up that may justify the purchase of a new nail gun. One is a composition roof replacement, incl. laying down new sheathing. The other is putting up about 100' of redwood fence.

I used one many years ago on a roof job, but not since then, so I don't know what options are available. Is there one that would be versatile enough for these two jobs?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
masiman(z7 VA)

I think you are talking about different types of nail guns. At a minimum, one type for the sheathing and fence and another for shingles. You could do the fence and sheathing with a framing nailer. But to do shingles, you will need a roofing nailgun.

For the fencing you could even get away and may even want to use something lighter than a framing nailer. A framing gun is made to drive larger nails into thicker material. Redwood fencing is fairly light wood and typically thinner. You may want to use staples or a finish nails to prevent splitting. This would be a different gun from a framing and a roofing nailgun. Also, because you are using redwood, you will want to use stainless steel or aluminum fastners. Redwood and cedar will stain with other types of nails, including galvanized. the zinc in galvanized nails reacts chemically with cedar and redwood. Nail manufacturers recommend that you go with aluminum or stainless steel fasteners when you're using either of these woods -- and whenever you're using pressure-treated wood. (The preservatives incorporate salts that react with the zinc.)

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 11:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rickd59

Thanks for the information, masiman. You've given me some things to think about.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Have Chipper/Shredder for trade
I have a very nice gas powered wood chipper/leaf shredder...
charlieboring
Harbor Freight small utility tralier question
I just purchased this harbor freight trailer. http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html I...
rlmunsey
Building storage shed on a terraced slope
Is it safe to build a storage shed occupying two levels...
Thomas Lu
Waterproofing a basement
I get water in my basement just about every spring...
huskymaniacny
Deep Spader
Has anyone used a deep spader? How did you like it?...
svachon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™