Roto-Hoe Mod # SR, Ser # 771-322 modification questions:

loger_gwMarch 20, 2011

Roto-Hoe Mod# SR, Ser# 771-322 modification questions:

I helped a friend rem a link in his larger chain. Now his idler pulley that controls tension in his large and small chain w/n allow him enough movement to add both chains. Not seeing his adjustment slot, do you know if it can be elongated to add and work with the 2 chains (if it's a "very" close situation)? Please add any additional info/ tips/possible parts supplier/Etc. He said the sprockets are worn more so than stretched chains. He has used the tiller since the early 1970 with very good service.

Thanks In Advance For Any Help.

loger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

Can you use some offset links or as they are AKA half links?Just remember when you remove an outside link you also have to remove an inside link.
Mike

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 10:46PM
loger_gw

Thanks for the reply and info mla2ofus. You know the exact problem of having to take two links out vs one. We plan to look at elongating the adjustment slot. Plus, look into using a master-link with spacers (as a half-link) to adjust the chain. Any suggestions on a source of half links, master links and sprockets? This might not be that big of challenge in the Fort Worth, TX area. We have plenty Small and Large Gardening Shops, Northern Tools and Tractor Supply. The age of the tiller will probably send us to some of the oldest shops with surplus equipment (harder to find these days). loger

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 12:04PM
mla2ofus

Take the old chain with you to an industrial supply that sells bearing and v belts. Sometimes they carry roller chain, tho I doubt they'll have the sprockets. I don't know how much $$ he wants to put in it,But you could buy a blank sprocket with the correct # of teeth and have a machine shop fit and weld it to the old hub.
Mike

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 7:05PM
loger_gw

Thanks! For the good ideas Mike. I like your order of suggestions and we have good access to both. Plus, we do a bit of machining and welding that has helped the tiller over the years. "Too Many OLD Fun Projects" and "Young Bodies". LOL! loger

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™