John Deere 445 fuel problems

jtmiller13January 16, 2012

I have a 1999 JD 445 with a Kalwasaki 22 hp fuel injected engine. As long as we pour gas into the carburetor it will run until the gas burns up. All the sensors have been checked as well as the fuses. We also replaced the fuel pump. When we remove the hose going from the fuel pump into the carburetor and try to start it, gas comes out of the line. I read on this forum where there were problems with a fule line in the fuel tank. If this were the problem would I get gas coming out the other end of the fuel pump? We also checked the pressure on the new fuel pump which was OK.

Does anyone have any answers? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14(W/PA)

I'd try another temporary fuel tank first, to eliminate any questions about if it will run or not. If it runs, say for ten minutes with the auxiliary tank, then it will eliminate problems with the carb. Next thing i'd check is the breather hole in the gas cap. In fact, i'd do that first, then the aux. tank.
Next would be to do a thorough cleaning of the tank, for a floater, or sinking floater, that might have found its way into the tank.
See if the fuel pump does pump fuel thru itself-that is-see if it works, by cranking the engine with the plug wire off, and the pump outlet hose off its nipple on the carb. Just be careful, watch for squirting gas, as it will ignite fast! Don't burn yer house or garage down! Safety is king in this situation! I tender these suggestions with the assumption that you know the dangers of escaping gasoline, and its affinity of igniting from the careless cigarette in somebody's hand! Or mouth! (Sheesh!!)
All safety precautions must be followed!
HTH: Rusty J.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 11:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
race4time

Ehhhhh. Check the bypass hose on the fuel pump. If you take the tank cap off and turn on the key and you hear fuel splashing, you have a bypass hose failure. It's a hose about 1.5 inches long on the pump assembly that gets a crack in it. THE FUEL MUST BE PRESSURIZED FOR THE TRACTOR TO RUN. If you lose pressure at this point the engine will not run. Replace with 1.5 inches of 5/16 fuel line from TSC and replace the pump under the seat. Happy mowing

Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
transmission clean and do not overwork
I have a Dumb question about that phrase. Exactly what...
krnuttle
STX46 is dead
I have tried MANY things over the past year to get...
MPinNC
John Deere SRX75 Rider Issue
I have an old Deere SRX75 30" rider with a Kawasaki...
itzbinnice
Rider lift 88.88 this weekend
HFHorrible Freight rider lift. Works pretty well!
tomplum
Dead cylinder
So I have a Briggs & Stratton Engine model number:...
RebornGreen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™