Tractor

fbomherJanuary 24, 2013

I'm looking to buy a garden tractor to use to move my 2,500lb plane in and out of my hangar. It must be able to work in ice and snow so 4 wheel drive is a must. Looking for recommendations. Would a 100 series John Deere be able to do that? My hangar has a slight uphill grade going in which is great pulling out but not so much pushing in. Looking for advice. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bushleague(MA)

Four wheel drive is a must when towing on snow and ice, we use a 400CC Suzuki King Quad with a pintle hook mounted on the front. Just make certain that you don't exceed the steering limits of the nose gear, when maneuvering around the ramp.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 6:53PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

Might i suggest something with a drive-shaft design for powering the wheels? Most garden tractors and lawn tractors are driven by rubber belts. I'd think that plane would be too heavy for a lawn or garden tractor. The idea of using the kind of machine as told by the other respondent, would be much better than a garden tractor. Most garden tractors as advertised today, aren't near strong enough for what you propose. They are usually just a step up for the average home owner. More or less a selling gimmick.

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 11:42AM
bluemower

search for "aircraft tug" and you will find many designs that are made for this. Some are battery powered and some are gasoline.

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
John Deere 245 Won't Start (Kawasaki 14hp)
I have a ~15 year old John Deere 245 with a Kawasaki...
lawfires
Plug vs. Spike aerators?
Plug vs. Spike aerators Why would someone use one over...
cjsm5nys
John Deere 425 pto not working
I bought this tractor used,the pto worked when I bought...
thetigr36
Craftsman rider safety switches
I have a Craftsman mid-engine riding mower with a briggs...
LRM2
Briggs and Stratton 25hp els OHV help!!!!
I got a this motor attached to a mover off a craigslist...
H&M Contractors
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™