Liriope

MFIXApril 14, 2014

Hey all,

Just planted 3 liriope muscari last fall along a pathway and the rabbits or deer gave them a good clipping. My original purchase tag said that these were evergreen, so I am just wondering if they will regrow normally after their haircuts when they start to come out of dormancy in the next few weeks. Any thoughts or further care tips? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TexasRanger10(7)

Anyone who has ever tried to get rid of it knows its impossible to kill, even with heavy doses roundup. You can cut it all the way down to the nub & it still comes back. People often mow it low in spring.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 6:20PM
rocklandguy

I trim mine down, leaving an inch or so, when the leaves start looking ugly! The new growth will appear from the center as soon as the temps warm a bit. I'm in SC where the temps have been in the 70's for about two weeks now, and mine are just starting to show the new growth. They will come back!

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:45PM
don_in_colorado

Oh, you bet they'll come back. I've grown a variegated version of liriope for 6 years or so that's proven durable in sun and shade, but doesn't run (in my experience). The solid variety you have grows fiercly (maybe too fiercly) so it'll be roaring back in the very near future.

Cheers,
Don B.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:56PM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

They'll be fine.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 8:25AM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

They'll be fine.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 8:26AM
MFIX

Thanks guys. Yes mine are variegated (and evergreen?) Temps this week ahead look good for some signs of life to happen. Cant wait to get a full season of these guys. Also hit up all around all my beds with liquid fence yesterday, dont want the bunnies to begin their feast again.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 9:56AM
MFIX

Still nothing from liriope, are they dead? Thought the warmer temps would bring some growth, but I dont see anything yet. Too early still?

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 1:47PM
shadeyplace(7)

I went to a lecture years ago on "tending the garden">>
"Liriope looks horrible when your cut it back and it looks horrible when you don't". This is true!!

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 7:57PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

BTW, there are two types of Liriope--L. muscari is a clumper. L. spicata runs, though not agressively and may even establish under maples.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 6:37AM
shadeyplace(7)

spicata not aggressive???

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 9:30AM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Here, muscari is marginally hardy, and can be killed by a real winter. Spicata is a decent, spreading groundcover, but nothing frightening. It's all about the location.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Hey, I just remember I have...
globeflower! Totally forgot I have these, I was typing...
mxk3
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
How to ask Houzz a question?
When the switch over first happened I could easily...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™