Stihl MS 290 farm boss chain slips

FrakF(7)March 15, 2014

Hi,

I'm new to the Garden Web forums. I took my Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss out for use today cutting some downed 12"-14" trees and I found the chain slipped and the saw bogged down deep in the wood. This saw has probably been used less than 10 times since purchasing in July 2012. I checked the tension readjusted and experienced more of the same. Given the age of the saw and use, I do not believe that the clutch or oiler are bad but perhaps there is something else I could check myself before taking it to a small engine repair shop. Any ideas? Frank F -- Stafford, VA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcmoser

I don't own that saw, but chain maintenance is usually universal. Does it have chain Brake? If so it might be causing the problem? make sure it releasing when it Boggs down

Before taking in it in for repair I would suggest complete cleanup of the chain, sharpen the chain (if you don't know how paid to have it sharpen), bar, clutch housing and the brake assy (which maybe your problem if bound up from saw dust and dirt?), and clutch area especially if you may have cut dirty wood or dipped the bar into ground. Once you got it clean start if up and visible see that its oiling.

Assemble carefully making sure the bar in the adjustment slot right, chain on the right direction, and not getting pinched. Now hold the bar up while adjusting the chain pull the chain to ensure no binding. Tighten the clutch cover nuts that hold the chain tight while taken all the slack out by holding up on the bar. With gloves on run the chain again by hand to ensure it not dragging on the bar.

Now Start it up Try it again, if you have the same problem and didn't make any errors putting it back together take it to trusted repair center.

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
No more roll pins
Finally got the roll pins out of the wheels on my Horse...
snuffyinatl
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
Honda Snowblower will not move in neutral
Hi everybody, I am a newbie to this forum. My Honda...
buttonperson
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™