Suggestions for the 3 large containers

glaswegian(5b, Ont)April 1, 2012

Hello all,

Here are pics of my walkway to the front door and what I had last year. This year I need some suggestion for the 3 big containers (small plants and trailing plants) that will compliment by red abyssinian banana, hibiscus and brugmansias

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ikennedy/IMG_3058.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ikennedy/IMG_3055.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ikennedy/IMG_3069.jpg

Mick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

I'm a big fan of Cuphea ignea aka cigar flower. It blooms profusely all summer in sun to moderate shade, attracts hummingbirds like crazy, doesn't need any deadheading or pinching. There are both taller (to about 2 feet) and shorter varieties (8 to 12 inches).

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuphea ignea images at Google Search

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 8:16PM
marquest(z5 PA)

Because it takes my brugs so long to bloom I use coleus and dahalia,

Banaana I used coleus and impatients.

I love coleus. You get so much color without waiting for a flower and can make it any combo color you like.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 8:28PM
NHBabs z4b-5a NH(4b-5aNH)

Under that red hibiscus, how about some gold foliaged plants like gold Lysimachia (AKA gold creeping Jenny or moneywort) or gold sweet potato vine, both trailers. There's a more silvery chartreuse licorace plant that drapes as well.Or I've seen a gold-leafed geranium which has bright red flowers which would mound, as would a short lime-flowered Nicotiana (with a great bonus of night-time scent but with just green foliage) or a golden coleus. Golden Scotch Moss (Sagina subulata 'Aurea') is very low growing, but will slowly expand over the edge of your pot. Something yellow-flowered for contrast or bright red to echo the red hibiscus flowers might look great also.

In your banana pot some of the new Guinea impatiens might look nice if you choose your flower color to echo the leaves. I really like the way the dark-eyed dark pink petunia does this in your photo.

Diamond Frost Euphorbia is an airy mounding plant that looks great with everything I've tried it with and has masses of delicate white flowers that don't stop until frost. Yellow lantana would look good in any of your pots also IMO.

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 6:43AM
glaswegian(5b, Ont)

Thank you everyone for your input so far! Keep them coming please

Coleus: I bought a couple last year, but they wilt as soon as I planted them out in the sun. I though they were meant to be sun loving? Are there specific ones am suppose to be buying?

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 8:45AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I have 3 "focus pots" on my front porch also. The arrangement evolves as things die back and I add new plants. Coleus are always a part of the arrangement when it's warm enough, and they are in full sun.

There are thousands of coleus. Some are more suited to full sun than others. They are a common addition in "corporate landscapes" around businesses in full sun. The same coleus can have wildly different coloring depending upon the amount of sun, making it a very versatile plant. Keep trying, you'll find some that do well. Since you only need a few, I would buy bigger plants than what you get in a 6-pack of annuals.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 10:01AM
glaswegian(5b, Ont)

I also will like to point out that am in Zone 5b :-) I'll have to look for the bigger pot Coleus then

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 6:11PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I saw that you're in 5b. I gardened in 5b in Ohio for decades. Coleus don't seem to care where they are, as long as it's warm. If you're shopping at a place where they actually know a thing or two, ask them which coleus would do better for you. They might have access to plants that aren't on display. I've been able to get plants that way, but did have to buy a whole flat since they were ordering just for me.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 9:45AM
glaswegian(5b, Ont)

Thanks purpleinopp

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
Trying any new perennials this year?
Just wondering what new perenniaks everyone is trying...
bellarosa
daves10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™