what is this variegated green, white and ruby houseplant

abbyraeDecember 13, 2013

My grandma split this plant for me last year and I've been trying to ID it since... This is a cutting I took yesterday. The mom is two large stalks that grow horizontal more than vertical, each stalk is 12". When I pinch the top leaves it shoots new branches and it's very fast growing. The leaves are kind of velvety and the stalk (which is white most of the way and then ruby toward the top) is super fragile... as though it is taut with water.

I'd like to take good care of it, and overall the mom seems healthy, but I have no idea what it is...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol23_gw

It looks like Coleus.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 11:35AM
zackey(GA 8b)

That was my first thought. I never saw one with those colors before. Maybe a very old variety?

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 1:26PM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

'Peter Wonder'?

Here is a link that might be useful: Solenostemon scutellarioides 'Peter Wonder'

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 2:20PM
linaria_gw

with Solenostemon/ Coleus colors can change quite a bit, depending upon the amount of sun.

I used to have a green-red one with bits of white as a pot plant when I was a kid. And indoors it was rather just green with some faint blotches. Probably that pink would fire up nicely if you placed it in the sun.

bye, Lin

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 3:08PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

my first thought on seeing it.. was that it is not in prime condition.. due to lack of light and perhaps other reasons ... perhaps a visit to the houseplant forum will get you up to speed on growing plants indoors ...

and the fact that she is rooting new pieces.. that perhaps grandpa wasnt real healthy ...

which is all to say.. its colors look faded ... and might be a lot deeper if light was increased ...

and what fascinated me most.. was your use of ruby .... never heard that used in garden parlance before ... for a color descriptor ... and its interesting... gold star on that ..

ken

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 3:51PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

No idea on the name of the specific cultivar (there are over 2,000) but I think it's a duckfoot type Coleus. Maybe one with 'ruffles' in its' name. Regardless it's specific ID, if it's not growing upright, try a spot with a little more sun during the dreary days of winter if possible.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Plant name?
I need your help to find out this plant name. Thank...
xorxe
Please let me know the plant name
Hey This is an aquatic plant with obovate leaves and...
nus12
Need ID for flowers
Shot these pictures during last autumn in Hokkaido....
coralred
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™