Bypass Primer Bulb?

pgtrMarch 27, 2011

Some of my 2 cycle power equipment have primer bulbs and some do not. I am reviving a 10 year old string trimmer and all the fuel hoses are disintegrated due to exposure to extended exposure to fuel presumably. Since it has a primer bulb that means additional hose(s).

Can I simply bypass it w/ a direct fuel line to the carb? Or would there be problems w/ doing this? (extra pulls to start) Any benefits to doing this? (simplifying system)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

You might be able to, but I think the fuel recirculates through that line while the unit is running. I wouldn't do it.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 5:43AM
rustyj14(W/PA)

You need that primer bulb and the extra hoses, as it all works together to pull fuel into the carburetor! Fix it right!

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 9:43AM
ewalk

Pgtr: 1st off wlecome back Dude . Secondly I Agree with the other forum members , almost all Small Engines with a Purge/Primer Bulb carburator will be a beast to start without this arrangement . Therefore I don't think you will experience any benefits of removing them . They purge air out of the carb and pull fresh fuel into the carb priming circuit which spills into the carb venturi . As you most probably recall 3-5 pumps will usually ensure a quick start. I had a trimmer / cutter that had a very interesting primer / choke /tickler arrangement that allowed me to eliminate the primer . You could out of necessity use a can of carb cleaner sprayed into the breather / filter assembly . Have done so in a pinch while in the bush when the primer line got pinched off. Overall I don't believe eliminating the primer will serve any benefit . Give it a try with one of your newer units and see what you think .

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 4:37PM
pgtr

Thanks - it's trivial to replace.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 10:24PM
rcmoser

All the parts can be had at well stocked local hardware store. Primer bulbs can be brought seperately, just take you old one with you. yellow fuel hose comes in several sizes and sold by the foot. Only thing you may have to get at SE parts store or online would be carb. kit usually runs 4 to 8 bucks depending on where you buy them.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 5:29AM
More Discussions
Looking for a new "top box" for my tool chest.
My old one died of old, old age and I didn't replace...
exmar
Backpack Leaf Blowers
I have been looking around at backpack leaf blowers,...
OutdoorGuy1
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood” inside?
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood”...
loger_gw
Temperature alarm app for Android?
I am wondering if anyone knows of an Android app that...
armbarangel
cultivator or tiller or both
In the past I've manually tilled and cultivated my...
Bushwhacker Blood
Sponsored Products
DreamLine Charisma 56-60x58-inch Frameless Bypass Sliding Tub Door
Overstock.com
SMV Telescopic Bypass Lopper Multicolor - GTBP-39
$48.99 | Hayneedle
DreamLine Duet 56-59x58-inch Frameless Bypass Sliding Tub Door
Overstock.com
DreamLine Duet 44-48x72-inch Frameless Bypass Sliding Shower Door
Overstock.com
Kelvin LED Presence Detection Table Lamp
Lightology