Lawn tractor over heating

jkl101February 10, 2013

I have a 16 hp Briggs twin on a craftsman and when I start it up,it starts runns and smokes then over heats and dies I looked in the cylinder and there was oil in it I was thinking it was the gasket but not sure should look at the rings and hone it or just get a gasket

Please help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

Which "16 hp Briggs twin" out of the possible dozens of models?
OHV, opposed??????
IF OHV, I'd GUESS head gasket for a start.
Post the Model & Type#'s or the Sears 917.xxxxxx number of the tractor so we can identify WHICH engine.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 9:14AM
jkl101

It's not an ohv but the model number is 917 255880

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 6:04PM
mownie(7)

How about going directly to the engine and getting the Model # and Type # of the ENGINE and posting them.
The 917.255880 number you posted shows zero results when fed to several websites where manuals may typically be found. And that usually means the number given is not correct in some way.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 6:54PM
jkl101

My apologizes it's actually 917.255850 I I will also tell you it's a hydrostatic auotomatic as well

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 8:54PM
bill_kapaun

That appears to be a YT16-
Engine is likely a Briggs 402707-0157-01

Is it a vertical shaft?

Have you smelled the crankcase for the presence of oil?
IF the carb is leaking through, gasoline ends up in the sump, diluting the oil to point it easily gets past the piston rings.
My other "guess" is a bad crankcase breather.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 9:57PM
jkl101

I have not smelled the crank case but I cleaned the carb and I'm going to change the oil to sea if that helps I'll cheak th breather as well thanks

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 10:53PM
jkl101

Yes it is vertical by the way

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 10:54PM
jkl101

I also neglected tosay that there is a hoe that leads from the carb to the engine and there is bits of oil in it every time it runs for while I didn't think that might be a problem but it may be

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 11:02PM
jkl101

There is a hose that leads from the carb to the breather that seems to have oil in it as well does that have any impact?

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 11:07PM
sboricic(5a)

First thing I'd check is the air vents on the engine. I had mice built a nest on mine around the air/cooling vents which caused to it overheat and possibly blowing a head gasket that I had to replace.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 6:11AM
rustyj14(W/PA)

You had best remove the tin cover that surrounds the cylinder-s, and clean out the mouse nests and poo that is obviously in there! That in itself will cause over-heating, and eventual big engine troubles.
Yes, you will get oil in that short hose, as it is the crank-case breather hose, to the Carb.
As another person said---smell the dip-stick tube, or if none, remove the oil fill plug, and smell the engine oil! If it smells like gasoline, then you have gas in the oil, which will destroy the engine in a short time. Change the oil!
Mice and other rodents dearly love the cover-s over and around the cylinders, and make their winter nests inside those parts. When you put the machine away for winter storage, lay some clothes dryer sheets arround the engine-s, and those critters will stay away! Works for me! Rusty Jones

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 3:35PM
sboricic(5a)

Thanks Rusty. That had happened to me last year but didn't notice it until 1 of the piston rods broke and it was making an odd sounds. I cleaned it all out after replacing the rod and did the proper adjustments. It worked fine the rest of the year. I'll be checking this time in the spring for any nests.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Snapper Riding Lawn Mower Wiring Diagram
I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a Snapper Rear...
byrondallas
old mtd lawnflite chain drive?
Hey I just bought and old riding mower and lo and bohold...
mtdlawnflite
which is better Simplicity Broadmore 44" or Husqvarna GT48xlsi
I am about ready to order a new mower for my yard....
lcb65
Just throwing this out there...
Been thinking of starting a Facebook page on small...
snuffyinatl
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™