Greens from Lake Huron

gmom2-6boysMarch 10, 2011

I live across the street from a harbor on Michigan's Great Lakes. The greens that wash ashore. Can they be used in my compost pile?

gmom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

I personally would not introduce anything from one of the Great Lakes into my compost or anywhere else in my yard.

I would suspect there's a good chance there could be toxic chemicals and other sources of pollution in it.

At the very least, you could contact the government agency responsible for the lake to see if you could get information on the pollution levels. Then you could make an informed choice.

Alternatively, if you need more material for your compost pile, you possibly have neighbours that throw good compost material away, and they may be glad to give it to you instead.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 9:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Some people that have not been paying attention to recent information about the great lakes waters may not be aware that what we were seeing, pollutants, in the 1960
s and 1970's have been pretty much cleared out and the water is not only okay to swim in but t drink once again, so yes you can use those "weeds" that get washed up on shore in your garden depending on what they are. More than likely, if these are long and stringy they grow on the bottom and are not the toxic algae blooms that have been appearing of late.
For a large number of reason people are warned not to eat some of the fish, from the great lakes and all of the oceans of the world as well, more than a certain number of times per week.

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
Using mushroom spawn or spores
How do I add mushroom spore or spawn to raised bed...
digsindirt1
Can I use Miracle Gro Garden Soil by itself ?
I just bought Miracle Gro Garden Soil with some bags...
maximus2015
Hapi-gro 100% Organic Compost
Can I plant straight into this?
Elbourne
New raised bed garden
I'm putting a raised bed garden in the front of the...
dbbob
Compost is wet and soggy. Can I use it? It's not done yet..
Hi there. My first compost is almost a year old now....
Mikkel Nielsen
Sponsored Products
Hopson Leather Sleeper Sofa - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
ecoChoice Square Planter Box - EPLT103-S18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Wild Sports Tailgate NFL Toss Bean Bag Game Set - TTSN-102-1
$89.40 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Garland Rugs Shazaam Mod Green 5 ft. x 8 ft.
$93.97 | Home Depot
Green Onion Pure Komachi HD 8'' Chef's Knife & Sheath
$12.49 | zulily
New Beautiful Blue Persian Balouch Runner 3' x 9' Hand Knotted Wool Rug P831
BH Sun Inc
Green Glass Dinner Bowl
$12.99 | zulily
Flood Lights. Solar Goes Green 50 ft. Range Outdoor White Industrial Solar Flood
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™