nail driver

mbauer(z6 PA)April 1, 2006

i'm building some fences...one for privacy and one for compost. so far, i drill then drive a nail...hard for me to do. i thought of air tools, but they get xpensive and need careful maintenance. not sure i have those skills. so, any suggestions on what would make my work a tad easier?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_c(N.EAST GA.)

Have you ever thought about buying one, finish your project,then sell it. Cuts cost, and no maintenance to worry with, or cheaper still go rent one, whatever you rent make sure you can find the nails for it locally. You may want to consider alum. nails, they don't leave rust streaks as the fence ages.

Bookmark   April 1, 2006 at 9:52PM
woodsrunner55(SW OH)

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you already have the drill out, why not just get some decking screws and use those?

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 12:07AM
nevada_walrus(Boulder City)

Not sure why you are drilling unless its to make hammering in the nail easier.

What about one of those nail guns that use 22 shells to drive the nail. No compressor, hoses or electrical cords to drag around. Then as John said sell the gun when the projects are finished.

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 9:43AM
machiem(Z8 WA)

Why are you drilling?

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 11:23AM
hippy

My bet would be that you are using the thinner fence boards. If so I would reccomend drilling them if you plan to use nails due to the splitting issue.

Screws would work just fine if you do not try to bury the head in the lattce or post.

Thought of renting a nailer?

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 9:32PM
giventake(9)

The people who make fenceing use a staple gun, not much spliting and they hold fine..

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 11:03PM
tkendr01

For privacy fence, I use a coil siding nailer (which are rentable). The nails are small, galvanized ring-shank about 1-3/4" long. They countersink.
If you want to go cheaper, use a medium-crown air stapler, also rentable. For the compost bin, I would definitely use the air stapler.

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 11:55PM
tkendr01

The nail guns which use 22 shells to drive the nail, for the number of nails you have to drive, will be fairly expensive on a per-fastener basis. These powder guns are better suited to fastening to concrete and the special hardened nails required are the same diameter as a 10D common nail. There is no depth control - it's determined by which powder charge (color-coded shell) is used.
There are also butane-powered nailers which are cordless. The ones that I have seen only use framing nails (too big) or finish nails (too small).

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 7:45AM
nevada_walrus(Boulder City)

I wasn't sure about costs on the 22 shell nail guns. Just thinking of not having to lug around a bunch of stuff. Sure would be nice to just have the nail gun out on a fence line.

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 8:25AM
hippy

I think that he is nailing a fence together. Not concrete and steele. Using a nail gun that uses 22 cal. blanks to power it would drive the nails into the next county.

You can get a

DeWalt 18 Volt, 16 Gauge, Cordless 20º Angled Finish Nailer for around $225. It uses 1 1/4 to 2 1/2" finshing nails.

Paslode Cordless Framing Nailer or Finish nailer for around $380. It uses both a battery and CO2 cartidges to power it. Or you can get the complete kit for $600.00. You can shoot nearly 1000 nails from a single CO2 cartridge.

They are tons of different types of Pneumatic and cordless nailers on the market. The thing is. Do you want to spend the money for just one project or would renting a nailer and compressor be a better choice?

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Looking for a new "top box" for my tool chest.
My old one died of old, old age and I didn't replace...
exmar
honda snowblower problem
i have a honda 928 snowblower... good machine, but...
rudall
MTD 8HP SnowBlower
I have an MTD 8hp SnowBlower Mod # 317E640F352. The...
Jeffery Smith
1983 troy-bilt cultivator plus wheels
Read with great interest all the posts so far for the...
rayleman
Deep Spader
Has anyone used a deep spader? How did you like it?...
svachon
Sponsored Products
Parker House - Barcelona 6 Piece Bookcase with Glass Doors and PC...
Great Furniture Deal
SW 5050 LED Strip Light 60/m 10mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
AICO Furniture - Monte Carlo II 7 Piece Queen Poster Bedroom Set...
Great Furniture Deal
Chintaly Macy Upholstered Dining Side Chairs - Set of 2 - CTY1178
$290.84 | Hayneedle
Halo Recessed Lighting 5 in. and 6 in. Satin Nickel Recessed Retrofit Baffle
$54.97 | Home Depot
WW 5630 Single Row CC LED Strip Light 70/m 5.1mm wide 2m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Radionic Hi Tech Pendant Lights Orly 1-Light Satin Nickel LED Mini Pendant
Home Depot
Stanley Coastal Living Resort Haven's Harbor Night Stand Sea Oat 062-63-80 Multi
$755.98 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™