String trimmer which accepts expand-it attachments.

casolorz(6a)April 23, 2012

I am looking for a new string trimmer, split shaft, which will accept the expand-it attachments. I have about 3 or 4 of those attachments.

I was really hoping to get an Echo, or Stihl, or that Hitachi which has good reviews but none of them seem to accept the expand-it attachments, although the Echo PAS at HD didn't seem too different from the Ryobi attachments they had laying around.

I am curious to try the 4-stroke trimmers, mainly hoping for more power and less vibration, but I've read conflicting reviews regarding them. I don't care about the oil mixing part. But really what I want is a trimmer which won't stall easily when using a brush cutter or going through tall grass. I have a 3 1/2 acre lot, but I won't be weed whacking around the whole lot, just near the house and a few other places.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcmoser

Any Trimmer that has Quick Link system (Split shaft, you can see the knob in the middle of the shaft, usually all of these are straight shaft trimmers).

4 Stroke are ususally Robyi (sold under few brands)(MTD manufactured). I had had one for 8 years and had good luck with it, As with any trimmer or lawn equipment letting it set with gas in it will clog the carb. up. IMO don't let them set very long (over 5 weeks with aged gas). IMO using COrn gas will also deteriorate the rubber parts fuel system. don't let them set with corn gas in them reduces the deterioration IMO.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 6:50AM
rcmoser

I also have older Toro with quick link system. I afraid toro might be MTD now??????

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 5:50AM
Greg__R

Note that Stihl has their "KombiSystem" of attachments but you can also get a regular trimmer and the various gear box heads. The difference is that you need the Stihl wrench to swap out the gear box heads whereas the KombiSystem stuff is tool-less. Also, you want to get the compatible handle for these systems (i.e. no handlebars for the pole pruner attachment, etc.).

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Stihl Chainsaw - starts but won't run
My trusty (10 yr) old Stihl 16" chainsaw is starting...
uberfusion
MTD 8HP SnowBlower
I have an MTD 8hp SnowBlower Mod # 317E640F352. The...
Jeffery Smith
Old Troybilt Tiller Engine Replacement
I need to replace the eninge on my Troybilt tiller...
themaniam1
What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering sewer line?
What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering...
loger_gw
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood” inside?
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood”...
loger_gw
Sponsored Products
Gold 7' Lighted Ribbon
$8.99 | zulily
MC 134717-R 5C Green Wire 100 LED Christmas Net Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
Eduational Insights String-Along Lacing Kit - 3645
$27.99 | Hayneedle
Designer Black Shade White Beaded Mini Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Moonrays Path & Landscape Lights Clear Solar Powered Outdoor LED Hummingbirds
$19.18 | Home Depot