mateopava(8 El Paso, Tx)December 13, 2013

And one more photo.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mateopava(8 El Paso, Tx)

Could this be a Euphorbia millii?

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 5:20PM
zackey(GA 8b)

Looks like a sad Crown of Thorns to me. It is definitely lacking something big time. That is a super easy plant to grow. How are you caring for it?

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 9:31PM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

There are half a dozen varieties of E. millii and over 2000 other species of Euphorbia so I'd be careful assuming this is a sick specimen.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 10:51PM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Have you compared this with Fouquieria?

Here is a link that might be useful: F. splendens

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 11:35PM
mateopava(8 El Paso, Tx)

I just bought it on Thursday at the grocery store. It probably has not received the best of care. It was for sale for 1 dollar. It appears to be in the process of dropping it's leaves. Once I got it home I gave it a drink of water and put in brighter light than it was living in, in the store.
Today the leaves that remain seem to be a bit perkier and I think the stem has put on a bit more green.
I was thinking maybe it is going dormant for the winter, so I thought I would watch how it reacts over the next week before giving it more water.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 11:54PM
mateopava(8 El Paso, Tx)

Hey Saltcedar,

Yeah it definitely could be a Fouquieria, the leaves in that link you provided look very similar to mine, the stem looks similar as well. It's funny, I looked at pictures of Fouquieria on several other sights, but the leaves seemed more rounded than on my plant. I think I will label it as a Fouquieria and observe how it continues to grow.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 12:02AM
alisonoz_gw

it's only a baby, give it a chance!!!! If it is fouqueria, wouldn't it possibly go dormant winter?

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 1:19AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

A euphorbia seems much more likely to me. Is anyone growing ocotillo in large scale commercial greenhouses and sending it out to supermarkets etc.?

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 2:51PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I doubt it's a E milii, seems too thorny (I grow at least 5 diff ones). Also mine are all in leaf now, 2 of 5 are also blooming.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 11:40AM
linaria_gw

Just going by what is most likely to be offered makes E millii ( and hybrid!s) a very likely candidate. It seems there are a gazillion different types offered under the " umbrella label' E millii.

A young cutting is very unlikely to flower

The amount of foliage depends on water regime and light: leaves tend to drop of if a plant is shipped without TLC.
My dad used to grow some, and he loved to point out the varying leaves: see, that's when I gave liquid fert and so on.

Bye, Lin

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 3:17PM
zackey(GA 8b)

I didn't mean to be ugly. I just felt sorry for the plant! I have bought many a dying or sad looking plant because I felt sorry for it. I used to grow them outside in Vero Beach, Florida. They were a very low maintenance plant.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
Assorted Foliage Houseplant needs ID
What is this plant? It is only labeled as assorted...
rachelthepoet
Help to identify this truly silver shrub please
This is growing in a south facing front garden. Partially...
amyrodwyer
Identifying hedge plant, and why its going brown?
I have many of these evergreen hedges around my garden...
Vivre
No clue...new growth seems to look pinkish
I have a friend wanting to know what this plant is...to...
cadillactaste
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™