Homelite String Trimmer Died

bobinyelmApril 21, 2014

Homelite UT-32601 26cc String Trimmer suddenly won't start, or even act like it "wants to" start or fire, even.
Used only a few times, when it ran perfectly.
It has new proper mix fuel (same as our 20 year old Homelite trimmer still runs perfectly on).
Primes properly, will "wet" the plug w/ fuel if choke is used for too many pulls.
Pulled the plug w/ wire connected and rotated the engine and it makes a strong spark (even tried the working plug from our other trimmer w/ same results).
Removed carb and everything is good (diaphragm, float valve, etc).
Won't even "pop" on a shot of ether starting fluid through carb, or in cylinder (when plug is removed).
It acts like there is NO spark at all, yet it makes a great spark.
Trimmer is so new it still LOOKS new (no dirt or clippings near engine head), so it's not dirt.
VERY frustrating...
Ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

Fire/Fuel/Compression is the needed formula to start.

You have not mentioned a compression test (with a gauge or not being able to hold it in with your finger)
1. If itâÂÂs below 100 psi, pull the muffler, ck for a smooth cyl and free ring.
2. Ck the spark arrest screen for carbon build-up that will restrict the exhaust need to exit.

Please share your results.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 5:42PM
rcmoser

Trimmer is so new it still LOOKS new " is it still under warranty? if so take it BAAACK..

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 10:12PM
bobinyelm

1)
It's got great compression pulling the recoil started, but I didn't measure it. I will do so.

2) The exhaust is only a small opening in back of the muffler. It's barely black. No oil residue (like my older Homelite that runs great after 21 years).

3)
I don't have the receipt, and the tag on the unit says Sep 2011 (must have been old stock when I bought it). And yes, the unit looks like it was used barely once. The power head looks "box-new).
I looked in Home Depot to see if they still carried that model, and they only have an electric Homelite trimmer. The only have Rypbi. Troy-Bilt and Echo gas trimmers.

I'd have considered buying a new one and returning my "old" new one (not "legal" I know, but tempting).

The clerk said they are phasing out ALL 2 cycle trimmers as they cause global warming, and because customers are concerned about pollution.

The ONLY one Homelite still makes is:
http://www.homelite.com/catalog/string-trimmers/UT33600

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
2-cycle engine troubleshooting
My 2-cycle blower cannot be started. There is a hot...
slim50
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™