online store for crocuses

v1rtApril 6, 2011

Hi folks,

The link is a crocus from a friend of mine. She's actually a gardenweb member too. Do you have any suggestion where I can buy them(really nice varieties) online?

Here is a link that might be useful: Friend's Crocus

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

Neil - many reputable online nurseries sell crocus bulbs. Check out Bluestone Perennials or any of the other Watch*dog 30 companies. I get Bluestone's catalog a couple of times a year. Crocus bulbs, like daffodils, snowdrops, etc., are planted in the fall. In addition to purple, there are white ones, yellow ones and my personal favorite, Pickwick which is a white/purple striped variety.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 6:06AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

I haven't looked at the link, but overall, I think John Scheepers is the best (quality, variety and price)catalog for bulbs, though they don't carry Colchicums.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 6:08AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i am sure you are aware that they are planted in october ....

that pic at your website.. there are probably about 40 bulbs there.. if your friend has any volume of them.. perhaps you could scavenge some ... once the foliage start to wither ...

ken

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 8:05AM
gardengal48

Pretty much any online vendor that sells bulbs will offer crocuses and there are literally dozens of such places - Brent and Becky's, Scheepers, Van Engelen, M&Z, Dutch Bulbs, Holland Bulb Farm, BloomingBulb, etc, etc. And I'd venture that any local retail nursery or garden center will have a decent selection as well in September at the appropriate planting time.

The other vendor rating site referred to above has a search feature you can use to identify vendors for a specific plant or bulb type. Very handy, as you can check the rating on the company at the same time.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 10:55AM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

For regular 'ol crocus, I wouldn't even bother with mail order - they are readily available in the fall unless you live out in the middle of nowhere.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 1:33PM
v1rt

Thank you so much everyone! That helps a lot. :)

Ken, it's ok. I'll just buy them.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 2:59PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Old House Gardens has a really dark purple crocus with a terrible name (Negro Boy) it is an heirloom and looks a lot like that picture.

Ordinary "Dutch" crocuses are available all over in fall but I mail order lots of different ones. I love the tommasinianus, and other smaller crocus.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Bought Colocasia esculenta tubers... now what?
I bought today a pack of 4 Colocasia esculenta tubers. They...
green_go
Why all the old stuff?
I'm curious--why am I seeing so many resurrected posts...
Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
Big Mistake ! Chinese lantern
I just wanted to warn those who are thinking about...
rodco
Welcome spring...
I usually spend most of my time on the Roses Forum...
bethnorcal9
NEWBIES: stay out of your garden
ALL NEWBIES .... I KNOW YOU HAVE THE FEVER.... the...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™