Old Snapper Transaxle

stillcrazyFebruary 18, 2008

I am new to this forum. I am a retired Auto Tech (Tate's Auto Service) and I have an old Snapper riding, rear engine, 8 hp. (fuel tank on bracket on left side) and I need to know how to check the grease in the trans axle. 90 weight? Any "links" to information on this old mower? Thanks Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mownie(7)

Stand the machine up on its rear bumper so the front axle is straight up. Remove (carefully pry out) the lower plastic plug in the chain compartment case. Fill the cavity with not more than 2 ounces of "NLGI 0" or "NLGI 00" grease. This is not gear oil, it is a thin "chassis and gear LUBE". You can find it at Snapper dealers or general lawn mower repair shops that repair Snapper. Level with the edge of the fill/check hole is correct. You should go to the Snapper website and download the free parts manual and the free service manual.

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 3:42PM
stillcrazy

Thanks so much Mownie! I'll do that!

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 8:23PM
walt2002

You should also add 2 oz. of this lube to the center chain case once a year. Same kind of plug in it. It is much easier to add the lube to side gear case by removing the upper plug (when mower is standing on rear standards) as the lower plug has a gear immediately behind it which restricts access. I fill in the top one until it is ready to come out the bottom one. This takes time for lube to run down, turn wheel/gear periodically, putting the lube bottle in hot water for a few minutes will help it flow reducing time.

Don't forget to check for grease zerk on axle bushing on side opposite gear box.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
New Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine never needs an oil change
Wonder what Taryl at the Grass Roots Garage would have...
txtom50
JD 30inch mechanical tiller VS. 42 inch hydraulic tiller ??
I have read and posted different threads on these two...
cjsm5nys
Thoughts on a good lawn tractor.
This appears to be a site of knowledgeable folks with...
VAlandlover
Dead cylinder
So I have a Briggs & Stratton Engine model number:...
RebornGreen
Seized Ariend Snowthrower???
My dad has an Ariens 24" 6hp 2 stage snowthrower,...
andrelaplume2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™