craftsman edger attachment

ttv1April 14, 2010

I have this edger attachment (358.792400) and the flex shaft is always disengaging inside the shaft. When this happens, I have to take the attachment off, work the flex shaft back down into its cradle or holder at the bottom of the shaft, then reattach the shaft. This is a constant problem and I cannot even get one side of my sidewalk done without this happening 4 or 5 times.

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitjarfla

There is an upper drive shaft housing and a lower drive shaft housing around the drive shaft. You state that you continually must remove the lower shaft or edger unit, adjust, and re-install. Unless there is excessive wear or something is broken, there are at least 3 possible places for the drive shaft to be "too long." These are at the place where the upper shaft fits into the engine unit, at the coupler that joins the upper and lower shafts, and at the bottom where the edger head fits onto the lower shaft. To make sure that the pieces go back together properly  mark each part of the shaft, coupler, etc. so that you get proper alignment when putting it back together. For the upper drive shaft, remove or loosen the coupler where the upper shaft connects to the lower shaft. Then loosen bolts where the upper shaft connects to the engine unit. Do a couple of short twists and turns with the upper shaft to make sure it is slightly loose  and with a little force, push the upper shaft housing into the engine unit to seat it properly. Re-install the coupler, making sure that it also is seated as far onto the upper shaft as is required. At the bottom where the lower shaft fits into the edger unit  loosen any holding screws and make sure that the edger head is pushed far enough onto the lower shaft, then re-fasten the screws.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 9:08AM
More Discussions
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
2 stroke Mantis tiller vs. 4 stroke Mantis
I'm looking at buying a small Mantis cultivator but...
lil_rhody
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™