Passiflora caerulea on a bush like a clematis?

sara82lee(8a - SE Va)April 21, 2014

I got a blue passion flower last year and kept it in a deep hanging basket. It did well all summer until winter came... and it didn't come back. I think this is partially due to the fact that it was in a basket, and partially because I didn't water it all winter and it was under the roof of my porch :(

I'd like to not kill another one. Therefore I don't want to try the basket again! However, I don't really have a place to train it on a trellis. Can I have it grow on a bush, like a clematis can? I'm thinking of a hawthorn bush. . .

Thanks for your help, as always!

Oh, and if it has invasive-potential I'd definitely consider putting it in a pot and burying the pot next to the bush.

This post was edited by sara82lee on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 21:05

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

In a conducive climate and growing in the ground P caerulea can grow enormous - up to 30 feet. It also pops up around the original plant, sometimes some distance away. So it would be sensible to find out locally if it will go romping away as it does here. Although evergreen it does get scruffy so cutting it back hard is a good way of keeping it neater. I'm not sure it would succeed in a buried pot. I think it would either wither through lack of nourishment or it would escape in search of it.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 1:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Passiflora incarnata enjoys growing on fences here...so I suspect the same would be true of caerulea.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Lilies are blooming in parks now!
Pictures taking in Southern China.
jujujojo_gw
Perennials visited by a variety of insects, or unusual insects
Do you have particular perennials that seem to attract...
WoodsTea 6a MO
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™