Need Tiller Advice Please

brittneyt2(6b)April 24, 2013

I'm planning to till up a large section of my yard to start a new garden. 2,000+ square feet. Plan is to till 8'x4' beds. The area is currently just grass. I've been looking around, and tillers aren't cheap. I thought about renting one, but I may need to use it over several days, at which point the rental fees would add up significantly. Also planning to only till up about a third of it now to start a small garden now, and then work on the rest in the summer to finish it out. My research so far leads me to believe that I need a rear-tine tiller.

I'd appreciate any advise you all can give me as far as if rear-tine is the way to go, what brands/models are best, or if there are any I should absolutely stay away from. Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

It may make more sense to hire the initial tilling out to someone with a tractor and large tiller.
After that, maintenance tilling won't require a heavy duty machine.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 4:45PM
exmar

Big garden, 4x8=32sqft. That's 62beds in the 2000sqft. "Beds" usually refers to raised beds with wood or masonry sides. Rear tine tiller would be very awkward in that small space. I'd think something like a mantis-after it's been initially tilled and sod broken up and the soil is ready to plant. Previous suggestion of having it done with a tractor seems very viable.

Is this a community garden project? 62 raised beds is a huge undertaking.

Good luck,

Ev

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 9:56PM
chas045(7b)

I suspect OP simply meant that he would start with a smaller area to plant, and expand as time permits. Before I began reading responses, I was going to say the same thing as Bill. That is what I did although it was extra easy because I already had the builder's equipment near by, available for hire.

However, I have solid red clay that seems to need reworking each year and I have a Horse tiller. My garden is only a third the size of Brittney. However, if raised beds Are the plan, then the initial tractor etc is even more reasonable, and only a shovel and spade needed afterwards. Another point is that if 'grass' meant lawn, then rototillers often have trouble getting through the heavy roots and solid surface.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:59AM
slowpoke_gardener

I am late to the show, but I will show how I build and extend my gardens. I cant come up with enough organic matter at one time to build a large area (without buying it).

I added about 100 sq. ft. to my garden this year and took pictures for a forum member.

I also did a small review of my three tillers that is posted on garden web.

Larry

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Temperature alarm app for Android?
I am wondering if anyone knows of an Android app that...
armbarangel
What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering sewer line?
What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering...
loger_gw
1983 troy-bilt cultivator plus wheels
Read with great interest all the posts so far for the...
rayleman
Any owners of the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus?
I bought this around 1984 and have never seen another...
baymee
Looking for a new "top box" for my tool chest.
My old one died of old, old age and I didn't replace...
exmar
Sponsored Products
WallsNeedLove Anchors Aweigh Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP5-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Furniture of America Crezia Espresso Console Table
Overstock.com
Ogee Chain Runner 2'6" x 10' - BEIGE
$729.00 | Horchow
Kraus Aura Bathroom Accessory Bath Towel Rack with Towel Bar
Overstock.com
Fili D' Erba Console Table
| Italy Design