stihl br430

paulgaApril 22, 2012

i just purchased this backpack blower. the man at the dealer told me this has a 4-mix engine but i think he is wrong . the br420 had a 4-mix but this newer model br430 i don't think has it.i think it is a regular 2 cycle anybody know for sure thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14(W/PA)

What is a 4-mix engine? Do you mean a 4-cycle engine?
Check it carefully! see if it has a place to put oil into the engine block, such as a screw in/on cap, and a dip-stick. This usually denotes a 4-mix/cycle engine.
A 2-mix engine would say to me that you should mix a certain amount of oil with the gasoline, ala 2 cycle engine. A 2 cycle engine doesn't usually have a dip-stick!
The terms you have stated don't mean much to us older mechanics. Is that something you have heard from the place where you bought it, or from somebody who is new to the trade? Better check with the seller, before you do something wrong, and end up with a useless piece of equipment that said:"BANG"! right after you tried to start it! Haste makes waste!

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 12:52PM
jon3800

Paul,

The BR430, is NOT a 4-mix engine nor is a BR420 either.

Both of these are a pure 2-stroke engine just like the BR420. The only difference is the engines...the BR350/430 models have a stratified charged motor (it is essentially a large version of the BR200/BG86 engine) vs a single on the 420.

The only blowers with the 4-mix are the BR550,500 and 600

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 5:20PM
jon3800

Rusty,

A 4-mix engine is a STIHL patented 4 cycle engine (has valves,cams, lobes that 2 cycle's don't have) but uses 2 cycle gas for lubrication purposes. Those engines do NOT have oil sumps.

They are essentially a hybrid 2/4 cycle motor, they've been around for at least 10 years or so.

If you familiar with STIHL's FS90, 110, 130 trimmers and BR500,550 and 600 backpack leaf blowers...those are your 4-mix motors...they sound different than regular 2-cycles.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
2 stroke Mantis tiller vs. 4 stroke Mantis
I'm looking at buying a small Mantis cultivator but...
lil_rhody
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™