Honda FG100 tiller w/ dirty GX31 engine & oil
Greetings to all helpful gurus of small engine repair,
having issues with a:
- Honda Harmony FG100 mini-tiller;
- with Honda GX31 4-stroke engine; dirty/grey oil, filthy/leaky motor.
(fyi: my mechanical ability = life long bmx & mt bike mechanic, minor automobile work, basic tune-up replacement items & replaced a couple starters,.. so not much)
it belongs to my girlfriends family, and they've been passing it around and sharing it for about 5 years, without anyone reading the owners manual, or anyone performing any maintaince on it. she just got it back from her brother, and started it a few days ago, with much smoking from the engine. i went out and checked it out, to find the motor oil was very grey and looked to maybe have some water in it. (perhaps at some point someone left it out in the rain, ?and water got in through the air cleaner sponge??) ive gathered from reading some discussions here, that the grey oil is from metal filings, caused from the air filter being dirty, and letting debris into the motor/ pistons.
-so i dumped the dirty oil out, and rinsed it a few times with some fresh motor oil, topped it off w/ fresh oil. i didnt wash the sponge filter, but wrang out all the nasty oil from it, an put some fresh oil on it, and re-wrang it out a couple times.
- started it again, ran it for a couple of minutes, still very smokey, but not quite as bad as before. then i checked the (new)oil, and looked about as bad as before after only running for a moment.
now i'm not fammilar with this machine/motor, and hadnt read the owners manual by this point either. i noticed the motor seemed to be leaking/pumping quite a bit of oil into the air filter chamber, and leaking out from there. (not sure if that is because i might have tipped it over, onto a side that youre not supposed to. also when i was rinising out the dirty oil, with a few ounces of clean,.. i was turning it every which way, then dumping.)
- i decided at this point the engine needed a major cleaning, before being run again, ALSO NOTING THAT THE ENGINE WAS EVERYWHERE FILTHY WITH MUD/OIL MIXTURE, so much so, that couldnt determine the place(s) where it might be leaking from.
- then i got hold of the owners manual online, and started reading some of the forum discussions on this unit. got myself a grease gun, figuring no-one has yet checked on the transmission unit grease level. ?im wondering if i should open that up and give it a thorough cleaning, and maybe replace the parts that typically fail if they look worn?? or just just top it off with new grease and hope for the best and wait for its inevitable breakdown??
- then i started tearing the motor down, and cleaning with carbureator-cleaner spray solvent. i dont have the "shop/repair manual", so in this endeavor i am getting to the limits of mechanical agility, and lacking in the appropriate technical language. i removed all the exterior fixtures from the motor: muffler, carbureator, manifolds, plates, 'oil outlet valve cover', etc. this allowed me access to the inner motor from a few places to spray with the carb cleaner.
so at this point i'm ready to order/purchase the 3 gaskets i encountered, and put it back together with a new spark plug, and a cleaned air filter. without a service manual, i'm not comfortable tearing it down any more to give it a complete cleaning, and i dont have a lot of tools here,.. no timing gun or anything particuar like that, that might be required.
?i'm wondering if i should throw it back together and hope for the best, and once its running again, i'll be able to see where it might have some leakage. or do you think it needs to be taken to a professional, for a total overhaul & cleaning,.. considering the grey oil & possible piston/engine damage??
- any suggestions for cleaning out the interior of the motor, aside from the carb cleaner? how about using my shop vac as a compressed air blower, to blow/suck any particles out?
- are petes & plano, best/cheapest source for gaskets or gasket kit? and throttle cable too.
glad i found this forum and the expert transmission info for this unit. thanks for any advice, and heaven knows i can stand to score some honey-dew points with my gal, ...and mother in law ;~) lol.
found this forum searching:
[honda, harmony OR tiller, FG100 OR GX31 OR "FG 100" OR "GX 31"]