Old-fashioned rolling edger

cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)April 16, 2009

When I was a kid, my dad had a edging tool that was similar to a human-powered reel mower. It was like a small reel mower that had been cut in half. I use a hand-powered mower for my yard, but would like to find a replacement for my noisy string trimmer, especially since I'm weed-whacker impaired, having broken about 3 of them in the past 5 years. Do they still make the reel edgers?

Another question: I see that some gardening supply companies carry long-handled grass shears, which might do the trick for me. Has anybody tried these, and if so, do they work well?

Thanks for your input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eriocaulon(5)

Yes, they still make that rotary edger on a stick. Works pretty well I'm told as long as you are diligently using it with ever mow--it maintains the edge well but may take some doing to first create a clean edge.

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 6:54PM
ggoyeneche

First of all, they stopped making the "half-mower" type edgers in the 1950's if not earlier. Maybe you can find one at a yard sale or flea market.

The rotary stick edger is still made, and sold by Sears, Ace Hardware and others. Sells for about $30. "Works pretty well" is rather optimistic. If you google the Ames 1975900 you'll find some people think they're OK and others hate them.

At least you'll be green.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 3:45PM
ohiogal_sunshine

I just recently got one of these old fashioned rolling edger. It looks just as you described, half of a reel mower. It has one wheel and on the handle it says Ace mower edger. It's in good shape and works. I had never seen anything like it before and just had to have it. There is hardly any information on the web about these. Any history or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Smoky 8 horse Kohler
I recently got an old Troy Bilt Horse with the K181...
snuffyinatl
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Adjusting Carb on Toro S200 Snow Blower
I have a small 2 stroke Toro S200 Snow Blower that...
rgress
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™