Bermuda grass in compost

AZgardenNewbie(9)March 28, 2014

I am rather new to gardening and composting and need help. I have been composting for awhile and have two bins going quit well. Everything I initially read said to use grass clippings, which I have been. I live in Arizona, where bermuda grass is the main grass. We planted ryegrass this winter, so that has been going in as well. Anyway, I didn't know enough about bermuda grass and it has been added to my bins. The question I have is should I keep the compost as is, or start over?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenper(8)

I think you can keep it as is, and just don't add more to the bins now that you have decided you prefer not to add that.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 5:54PM
JonCraig(6b)

Be prepared to pull bermuda out of the beds. If it were mine, I'd seriously consider straining the compost (or semi-compost, whatever state it's in) and removing any Bermuda still intact. I might even consider using this first batch as a topdressing for the lawn, rather than take the risk of putting a bunch of Bermuda into my flower or veggie beds.

But that said, if you're willing to stay on top of weeding the Bermuda out of the beds, it's relatively easy to pull when it's young. I'd go to the extreme because I hate Bermuda that much. But your hatred may be different than mine. :-)

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 10:17PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Turn the pile into hot compost. Add greens, browns, a bit of nitrogen fertilizer and turn every several days, then repeat. Turn, turn til nothing looks like plant material.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 10:30PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There are a lot of myths out there about composting Bermuda grass, but if there are not reproductive parts, just clippings, put into the compost those clippings can be a good addition. Bermuda grasses spread by both stolens and rhizomes so if bits of either get in the clippings you could spread it around via that compost, but not simply with grass clippings. If mowed regularly and properly there will be no seeds developed by the plants.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 6:45AM
More Discussions
Composting gone cold
I've been composting for decades, but this winter,...
apg4
Unique Problem with smell
I have what I would consider a rather unique problem...
papernpaste1
Lawn fertilizer to increase nitrogen in flower beds?
For several years now my lawn and beds have been fed...
lincann
Does anyone not like newspaper for weed blocking?
I give advice as a master gardener for my county extension...
kimpa
Interpreting soil test results (for my rose garden)
Soil pH (1:1, H2O) 7.1 Macronutrients Phosphorus...
Gary
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™