Best Austin roses for Northern California/Orinda area

stlgal(south z5)April 24, 2011

Hi everyone,

I grow dozens of David Austin roses here in St. Louis, but am not sure which one of the containerized ones they sell would do best as a gift for a friend who lives in Northern California/Orinda area. The possibilities I'm strongly considering are:

Ambridge rose

Carding Mill

Crocus rose

Eglantyne

Grace

Munstead Wood

Princess Alexandra of Kent

Scepter'd Isle

Sharifa Asma

The Alnwick rose

William Shakespeare 2000

Winchester Cathedral

Young Lycidas

They particularly enjoy roses in the peach/pink/cream color range, so it would be great to find one like that, with good scent and a tolerance for the dry climate.

Thanks for any suggestions

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Carding Mill is one of the best Austin roses in the peach color range for a hot and dry climate. It's also very beautiful, although fragrance is not very strong. Harlow Carr unfortunately does not like the heat and I had to give mine up, even though it's very pretty. It crumpled up in the slightest heat. Sophy's Rose, Charles Darwin, Miss Alice, Lillian Austin and Mary Magdalene and The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild looked great in a public garden on a blistering August day one year.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 10:10PM
stlgal(south z5)

thanks for that information--I have seen Carding Mill get raves from others for heat tolerance as well. I was hoping that one of the pale to medium pink or buff/white ones might also be good performers (Sharifa Asma, Scepter'd Isle, Winchester Cathedral, Alnwick rose, Princess Alexandra, Crocus Rose). I grow a number of them here but it is difficult to compare the climate conditions.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 10:30PM
peachymomo(Ca 8)

Cressida comes highly recommended from a respected Rose Pro near me, I haven't planted one yet but I intend to one day when a spot is available.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 9:45AM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Winchester Cathedral, being a sport of Mary Rose, should do quite well since Mary Rose tolerated the heat well when I grew it.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 2:40PM
harmonyp

I've found the following link to be helpful - and live in your general area: http://www.eastbayroses.org/resistantroses.html

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 5:03PM
stlgal(south z5)

Thanks for the information--I'm also comparing with what they say in the Austin catalog, which is that Ambridge rose, Carding Mill, The Alnwick Rose and Winchester Cathedral all end up on their hot/dry climate rose list and Sharifa Asma is on their hot/humid list. I'm finding this hard to believe for Alnwick rose though, since these blooms seem to wilt in the heat of my St. Louis garden. I see someone in Texas has had good success with Scepter'd Isle and Ambridge rose also

I wanted to get one of the smaller ones Austin sells as a container plant rather than bare root, since it will be a gift and my friend may want to keep it potted for a while.

I'm tending to think given the color scheme they have in their yard that he'd like a white/cream or pale pink one, maybe:

Scepter'd Isle
Eglantyne
Sharifa Asma
Winchester Cathedral.

Let me know if you have any opinions/info about any of these.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Awesome Climber
This is a very popular spot to take photos in the San...
FriendsSJRoseGarden
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Blue Girl - bush
I'm starting to think about culling out the noncontenders...
canadian_rose
Which William Shakespeare Do I Have? Can WS be grown as climber?
I'm not sure which WS (Austin) I have and am wondering...
cjrosaphile
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™