gardenway troybilt tiller

organic_rossApril 16, 2009

diagnosis problem: The engine runs good whether idleing or wide open. When you put the tines in the dirt the govenor opens up and slowly loses power till it dies. You only have to go 2 inches into the dirt in an existing garden for this to happen. There is a steady flow of gas, the carbuerator has been cleaned, blown out and adjusted, new non ethanol gas put in and a new spark plug installed. The engine does not smoke and always starts on the first pull. The tilling is done in low gear of a 2 speed transmission. This is only the second year I have had it. The serial # is 27502 with a techumsah engine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canguy(British Columbia)

Sounds like it is starving for fuel under load. What is the make and model of the engine?

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 8:38PM
jimc_vt(z3Vt)

If your carb has an adjustable main jet screw(on the bottom of float bowl) turn it CCW 1/2 a turn,then test it in the dirt ....If you do not have an adjustment screw .....you either have a float out of adjutment or a blocked idle passage ....in other words,possibly new carb time....Sorry ,Jim

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 1:20PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

In the many years that I have done all the small engine work for a store, I've never had to replace a carb yet.

NAPA makes a carb cleaner that you soak the carb in for 5 minutes and wash it with water. It has worked 100% of the time for all varnished or blocked carbs.

I agree that it's a blocked jet or passageway or a screw that's a little too lean. I would adjust 1/8th turn at a time.

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 6:02PM
bobdziu

i have a tiller thats been past on to me from my grandfather all i can find on it is garden way and serial #471161 i would like to find an owners manual

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 4:20PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

Try the MTD site. Can you engage and disengage the rear tine assembly? The lever is on the left near the tine's drive shaft.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 5:46AM
dmullen(Southern CA)

I still have the manual in pdf format if it will help. Just email me and I will reply later today or tomorrow morning

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
Any owners of the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus?
I bought this around 1984 and have never seen another...
baymee
Temperature alarm app for Android?
I am wondering if anyone knows of an Android app that...
armbarangel
Looking for a new "top box" for my tool chest.
My old one died of old, old age and I didn't replace...
exmar
honda snowblower problem
i have a honda 928 snowblower... good machine, but...
rudall
Deep Spader
Has anyone used a deep spader? How did you like it?...
svachon
Sponsored Products
Tiller Woven Outdoor Loveseat, Patio Furniture
$895.00 | FRONTGATE
Tiller Chaise Cover - Sand
$229.50 | FRONTGATE
Nautica Tiller Cotton Reversible Quilt and Sham Separates
Overstock.com
Tiller Outdoor Sofa Cover
$329.50 | FRONTGATE
Tiller Outdoor Loveseat Cover - Sand
$229.50 | FRONTGATE