Black Know or What?

CrystalGray804March 11, 2012

Hello, I am new here and really confused. We just moved into this house and there is a tree I have no idea what it is but it seems to have Black Knot or something. The tree is also covered with vines. Can anyone give me an idea or suggestion. There are no other trees near it and no other tree around seems to have this issue. We want to cut it down if we need to or should. Thank you.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Hello CrystalGray804,

the picture was kinda small when I clicked on it. I really prefer photobucket or the like for posting pics on this board. You also might get more response in the regular tree forum, not its gallery view.

Generically I go around every year or so and cut the vines off the black walnuts and other trees in the wild parts of my yard. My theory is I don't care to exert enough effort in the thicket to kill the vines which while terrible are natural, but I want to help the trees maintain dominance.

If a tree is in the middle of my yard where it can not fall on anything I have a pretty long leash with defects. If it can fall on your house get out the chainsaw.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 11:30PM
CrystalGray804

This is the only tree affected and it is out in the middle of a small field type area. It is not near any structure it could fall on and seems to be fairly sturdy. One thing I noticed... the birds here love it. For this reason we are going to leave it alone. It was so full of wood peckers, 2 or 3 varieties and other small birds. As for the vines I am not concerned with those either unless they grow towards the house or any other structure.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 7:57AM
mainegrower(Z5b ME)

Black knot is a disease that primarily effects prunus - plums, cherries, etc. Anywhere wild cherry trees grow, it's nearly impossible to find any without black knot infection. The trees can coexist with it for many, many years. There's nothing much that can be done about it in any case.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 5:33AM
More Discussions
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Dombeya blooming!
A tropical hibiscus + hydrangea like flowering tree. Notice...
jujujojo_gw
Tree Removal Plan
Hi, I have a 100ft Silver Maple in my front lawn. It...
ACharles
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™