Need help finding the right yard/garden tractor

mech0001February 7, 2013

Long time lurker, newbie poster. Lots of great info here!

Well, it's time to buy a new(er) mower. Price point $2k - $4k. I have about 1.5 acres which is quite hilly. I need a mower that will be used primarily for mulching and want it to look nice when I'm done. I prefer hydro and am prepared to utilize fluid filled ag bar tires for improved traction. My current machine is a Simplicity 3314H with (I think) a 48" grass masher deck. It's not very dependable but ok for backup/entertainment (I'm a mechanic) purposes.

I've looked over a lot of the current offerings but it's not clear how to compare a Vickers hydro to the current offering of Tuff Torq equipment. Probably tougher than a K46 but equivalent to a K57, K72? Also watching craigslist but seems that people are wanting a lot of money for their used GTs, most 10 - 20 years old.

I'm fine with buying "one step above what you need" but not sure where that is. I'm looking for suggestions on good mulching mowers (am I right in assuming that a 46" deck is going to be a better choice that the 50" - 52"?) that will be durable.

From what I've looked at the x300 series seem to be a little underpowered for mulching at 18hp. The Snapper NXT seems to have a lighter guage frame (12 guage) than seems necessary. The B&S line (Snapper, Craftsman CTX)sounds promising and the Cub Cadet's might be a possibility as they are also available in my area.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Maybe expand your options to used commercial equipment. New units you may need to push the envelope in pricing a bit to actually replace what you had. The larger X series tractors have at least a hydro that you can service. I would not make an automatic assumption that a 46" will mulch better than a larger one. Mulching is great, but can bring quality of cut issues and clipping dispersion issues along with. Take your time and research well.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 8:17PM
gdj204

Tufftorq publishes their specs on their website - if you can get similar specs for Vickers, etc., then you should be able to make a better comparison.

John Deere used to publish info about their transmissions before they updated their website (price of progress, I guess). Their x320/324 has a better tranny than their x300/304, if you're looking at those tractors.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 8:51AM
mech0001

Not real hopeful on getting any specs on the hydro.

I'll look at the x320 specs. Really like a used 425 for under $3000, tho.

Any suggestions on good mulchers?

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:04AM
tomplum

That 425 sounds real nice. I think the best approach is to start checking out what dealers close to you have in the back row. be it a tractor complete or even extra decks. Get their opinions. Look on the Craigslist/ EBAY , estate sales etc. The older 400 series were built like tanks, but lots of them had no mulching. Service decks are available new- but pricey once you add it to a machine you just had to buy too. Maybe a Toro XI with a 52" recycler.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 12:11AM
ravenh2001

I have had an x320 for 5 years and the only regret I have is I didn't go up to the all wheel steering. I mow 3 ac of orchard and have to back up for about 1/4 of the 300 fruit trees.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 1:41PM
mech0001

ravenh2001,

Ooh, that's a lot of backing. I only have 7 fruit trees so not so much of an issue. Do you mulch/climb hills with it? Any info on how it does with those tasks?

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 1:28AM
ravenh2001

No real hills and I don't mulch. I often wait to long to mow so I have to slow down sometimes to get a good cut. It is still more relaxing than my big deere with a 6' flail.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 7:06PM
jrsavoie(5a)

The diesels are much more fuel efficient. If you shop around you can find red diesel a little cheaper - no raod use tax.
You can find a an older 300 or 400 series John Deere or Kubota and have something that will last years.
My 1980 John Deere 400 has been cutting 3 1/2 acres plus , ever since and is still going strong. I would like to sell or trade it and end up with a similar tractor in a diesel

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
Lawn tractor keeps cutting out
My john Deere l110 is running rough and seems to flooding...
davepoppe
Kohler Engine Question
I bought a Kohler Lawn tractor engine. New. sv740-3024.Two...
sailorkane
Which lawn mower?
I posted this in the John Deere forum, but I'm wondering...
joe_ga
Craftsman 917.289244 - Starter will not turn the flywheel
I am working on a Craftsman 917.289244 with starting...
cjlawson9
Which model Deere for my yard?
My yard is one giant hill. 1.2 acres. I have about...
joe_ga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™