darralApril 8, 2009

The tiller wont engage the blades. It goes forward and back ,just wont till

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canguy(British Columbia)

What is the model #?

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 9:21PM
darral

wish I knew. The tiller is not a worm or gear drive as it looks like it has a chain drive do to the cover to the tines. It is a Yard Machine by MTD and is 3 years old. thats all I know.

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 11:34PM
darral

the problem with the tiller was the shifting fork was bent because it has never gone into gear smoothly. The parts cost is 70.00 and to have it installed is going to cost another 150.00. My recommendation would be, stay clear from buying the model 410 & 420 tillers because of this problem. I know I'm selling this one as soon as I get this one running and buy something different.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 1:28PM
canguy(British Columbia)

That shifter was being abused to bend the fork. If it does not want to engage smoothly, engage then release the clutch before trying again.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 8:57PM
yngfireman

This just happened to my tiller. It'll go foward and backwards but the tines will not spin. Can you tell me where the fork is located on the tiller. Is it toward the motor or closer to the times? I'm going to try to fix it myself but who knows. Also can you tell me where you order the part to fix it. Thanks for the help

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 9:49PM
purplewg

Has anyone actually been in these gear boxes and repaired them here? I have. The pins on the shift forks to get worn and will slip off the shift collar.

This does not cause all the problems with these gear boxes though.

I am working on one now that the keys on the drive shaft (shifter shaft)will not spread out to lock into the lower (left) gears. It works fine when shifted up to T position. I am thinking these key have lost their curvature. Any opinions on this?

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 10:09AM
paulging_comcast_net

These postings are from 09 It is now 11 and I am having the same problem. Goes forward and backward, but won't engage the tines. Has anything been changed since 09? or found out?

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
2 stroke Mantis tiller vs. 4 stroke Mantis
I'm looking at buying a small Mantis cultivator but...
lil_rhody
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
Honda Snowblower will not move in neutral
Hi everybody, I am a newbie to this forum. My Honda...
buttonperson
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
IS it ME ? OR is this site/Forum Gone in hibernation?
This used to be such an informative and active site!!...
bertman_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™