Can this tree be saved? Trunk rot.

NiabiMay 8, 2012

I'm a new home owner and purchased this house whose landscape is a huge fixer upper. One part of me wants to save this tree, the other part says its a lost cause. The tree looked fine when we bought the property, but then the huge snow and rain storms hit and it has slowly started decaying on the trunk. I also found this rope under a root like the previous owner was trying to get the tree out of the ground. There is also a big huge hole underneath it and there are suckers, literally, everywhere.

I know for sure it needs a professional arborist, but if there is something I can do in the meantime then it would be great to know. Would you also have a rough estimate on how much it would cost to chop and ground it? Any idea what species it is?

Pictures (I would upload here but 61 KB is not a good photo...)

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6812/img0176dg.jpg

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5149/img0177ge.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

It's hard to know much from the information provided. The wound looks pretty serious, but we are left wondering about the rest. The description of the large hole underneath the tree is interesting, but we don't see it. We also have almost nothing on which to base any estimate of removal cost. Get a certified arborist out to look at this tree or give us LOTS more info (and maybe in the regular discussions forum so as to get more participation).

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Dombeya blooming!
A tropical hibiscus + hydrangea like flowering tree. Notice...
jujujojo_gw
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
What's the prognosis for this poor magnolia and apple tree?
I've lived in this house for a year. The previous owners...
nonconformist_nymphette
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™