.404' chain vs. 3/8'

danobattApril 27, 2011

I have a Stihl MS 660 and was wondering if there would be any advantage to using .404" chain instead of 3/8" for oak and other hardwoods. Also skip sequence or regular sequence. I have 25" and 36" bars.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
masiman(z7 VA)

You can find arguments for all combos.

Probably no advantage. It may be more difficult to get .404 chain local. If you buy chain in spool it makes your chain purchase simpler if you have other saws using 3/8 assuming you are making your own loops.

Some folks have no problem with full comp (regular sequence) on long bars (36"). Others find it does not clear chips as well and prefer semi or full skip. The one nice part of semi and full skip is there are fewer cutters to sharpen.

Some folks also recommend a 7 pin sprocket on long bars. You may find you have an 8 pin on it now. Probably more noticeable in hardwood.

If you're bogging down a little on the 36" bar, try a semi or full skip chain.

It it were mine, I'd run 3/8, semi-skip and get a 7 pin sprocket to see if I liked it better than an 8.

My buddy runs a modded 660 with 3/8 semi, not sure what pin. Mostly 30" but sometimes 36" bar. I've never thought, that the saw could do better or was not performing the way I thought should.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
2-cycle engine troubleshooting
My 2-cycle blower cannot be started. There is a hot...
slim50
2 stroke Mantis tiller vs. 4 stroke Mantis
I'm looking at buying a small Mantis cultivator but...
lil_rhody
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™