How can I tell if my Dogwood tree is dead?

mikeinctwhMay 19, 2010

I have a pink dogwood tree in my yard that seems to have gone dormant or died. This has always been a beautiful, robust looking dogwood. I can see where new growth and shoots have started but it is as if everything just stopped. There are no leaves on the tree and the buds have stopped growing. But if I break off a small branch it is green and you can see there is sap in the tree. Do dogwoods go through stages where they are dormant for a year? I would hate to cut this tree down to find out I made a mistake. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Frances_seputdingle_comcast_net

I have the same issue? Did you ever get a response.

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 10:29AM
gr8sunshinyday_aol_com

I have a 3 year old dogwood tree that's done the exact same thing. New shoots, yet no leaves and it's mid May. I'd love to know that's going on and if I should keep it or trash it.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 2:23PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

"Do dogwoods go through stages where they are dormant for a year?"

no

There's not enough information presented here to know what happened. My recommendation (especially if no more information is known) is to contact your local ag extension office and maybe take a sample to them. They should be very familiar with your local conditions and local issues. They may be able to tell you what to look for, especially in regards to likely problems in your area. If they are able to view a sample of the tree, that might also be a big big clue.

The reason you haven't gotten more answers is that you posted your question in the picture gallery section (where most people don't even look) and didn't even add a picture!

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Grafting trees - shower tree + mango + avocado
Hi, The house Im about to buy has a shower tree right...
Daniela Andrade
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
Chinese Pistache Pruning
My parent's have two Chinese Pistache that they are...
scottt60514
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™