edger vs. trimmer

ridonkulusApril 27, 2008

please advise:

choosing between trimmer and edger. would like to get the trimmer if it can also do a good job edging the lawn at the walkway/driveway interfaces. is this a task i can expect a trimmer to do well? need attachments?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colonel428

Man, that's almost a trick question :). Can you edge with a trimmer? Sure, lots of pros who run trimmers everyday do it like that. Should you edge with a trimmer? Probably not unless you are a pro who uses a trimmer all the time. There's definitely a learning curve & some skill involved in getting a nice, clean edge & not scalping the grass with a trimmer. Plus, even those pros will often use some type of decicated edger at least once at the start of the year to "cut through" the heavier growth & define the edge of the grass. Then they use the trimmers after that to maintain the edge. If you're a typical homeowner like most of us then I'd recommend a single power head with multiple attachments (at least edger & trimmer). There are several choices out there, depending on what you are looking to spend. Until recently, I had used a Troy-Bilt split shaft trimmer/edeger & it was a trouble free, dependable unit. I never had to do anything maintenance wise & it has the primer bulb which makes it very easy to start. Just a week or so ago I order the Echo PAS 265 power head with the trimmer & edger attachments. I haven't ran it yet to be able to give you any feedback. I looked at the Stihl Kombi system but decided on the Echo because of the positive feedback on other lawncare forums & because they've got a 5 year homeowner warranty on their products. Anway, I'd definitely get an attachment system of some type & stay away from trying to edge with your trimmer unless you are willing to live with some scalped patches until you get the hang of it....Good luck.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 1:28AM
More Discussions
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood” inside?
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood”...
loger_gw
Electrolytic Rust Removal
Has anyone tried this, using a battery charger, "washing...
exmar
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™