ice melt killing boxwoods

babera(5a (Montana))April 15, 2014

Due to the 100+ inches of snow we got this winter, we had to use ice melt a few times. I was careful not to get it in the flower bed that flanks the driveway, however I think my husband may have. Either him or the snow blower. My boxwoods were looking yellow so I trimmed them thinking they may have had broken branches from the weight of the snow, they are still continuing to turn yellow. There is some (a lot) of green but no new growth which I don't expect for a while yet.

I did give them a good soaking last week before I realized what the culprit might be. There are perennials in the same bed and none of them seem to be bothered, but they do set further away. Is this what happens when ice melt comes in contact with plants? Is there anything I can do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david883(5/6)

some of mine in the front are yellowing on the top (they, too, were buried completely under snow for a few months) but I'm still waiting. Here it was in the 50s, 60s and even 70s the last two weeks but yesterday we got 32ð and 2inches of snow. Today its going to have a low of 24ð or something. I'm hoping once we have spring/summer really starting they'll re-green. The link below says some yellowing is normal but... we'll see. This winter was a monster compared to the one we had last year!

Here is a link that might be useful: yellowing boxwoods

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:08AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

ice melt is water.. i dont understand what you are talking about ...

about half of my 5 acres garden has non-normal browning ... caused by an extreme winter ...

without a pic.. i dont know how to help you ...

the future is in the buds.. and you give no info regarding the viability of such ...

spring is extremely late this year ... in reality .. rather than by the calender... and you are very early.. in most of z5 .... to be worrying ... crikey it was 18 degrees in my z5 last night ...

ken

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:49AM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Ken

"Ice Melt" is a salt-type product used for melting ice and snow.

Kevin

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 7:34AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I never use any salt product for icy surfaces. I get a 5 gallon bucket of sand and leave it in the front entryway all winter and use that on the steps and walkway when it's icy. It seems to work fine to us.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 9:34AM

i figured as much ... but thats not actually what she said ...

regardless.. there have been dozens of post on browning boxwoods in the last few weeks..

for her to jump to some conclusion.. other than a bad winter is a bit premature.. dont you think ...

you wait until it buds out.. then figure out what is dead.. IF ANY OF IT ..

and then if its COMPLETELY dead .. then maybe the ice melt was the cause... or the z4 winter we had in much of z5 [she doesnt mention where in z5 she is] .. or last years drought.. or improper planting... or too much ferting ...

i am thinking she is on a tear to blame hubby .. and i dont think she can make that leap yet ... maybe.. but not yet ...

ken

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:03AM

perhaps the reason she missed all the other posts.. is that she posted this in the perennial forum..

but boxwood is a shrub ... and i bet that forum is where all the other posts are ...

good luck babera ..

ken

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:06AM
babera(5a (Montana))

I am in South Central Montana, Billings. . . sorry to bother you here, I will go to the forum I need to be. . . and for the record ken. . . NO. . .I am not trying to blame my husband for anything. . . just looking for some helpful advise. . .

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:49PM
More Discussions
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
I got my bees!
My mason bee cocoons came in the mail today. I'm...
mxk3
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™