pull behind mower

bckskin2(5 Il)March 24, 2013

Has anyone tried the pull behind mowers that are off set to increase mowing width? I am thinking of getting a 66" to pull behind a JD X 500.
Jerry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravenh2001

I have 2 swishers, a rough cut and a fine cut. Things to think about are #1 they only add about 1/2 of their cut width. #2 cornering ( cutting close to fruit trees) requires constant attention. #3 Backing up is a b... that said I love mine but wont let my 30 yo son mow in the orchard.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 8:26AM
rcbe(6)

Amen to above comments. swishers do fine in open fields/long straight runs - terrible around trees/bushes/etc. & forget backing up.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 11:56AM
bckskin2(5 Il)

I would only use in open where I usually use the finish mower with my New Holland. I wouldn't trust my 26 year old to mow with anything. Now we usually have 2 people and 2 tractors mowing.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:15PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

Many years ago, when riders were just coming along, i had a large lawn and side area to mow. I tried using a standard push rotary, but it was tiring. so, i made up a side hitch for the lawn tractor/mower, and that cut the mowing time. But, as others say, mowing with that rig is tricky and one sided. And, forget backing up. RJ

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 1:47PM
vandtbear1(S. Illinois)

ravenh2001, please explain your comment #1 above? Not sure what you mean there. I have a swisher 60" pull behind as well. It has an adjustable length off-set bar that attaches to the hitch of pulling machine. I can off set mine and get a 10ft cut path since my mower has a 60" deck too.

Pull behinds are great for steeper hills and around ponds too. Can mow right up to the water line.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
New Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine never needs an oil change
Wonder what Taryl at the Grass Roots Garage would have...
txtom50
Tecumseh throttle governor help?
Ssnow blower, not tractor question, but I'm hoping...
mbsl98
STX46 is dead
I have tried MANY things over the past year to get...
MPinNC
Just throwing this out there...
Been thinking of starting a Facebook page on small...
snuffyinatl
Can you identify this Muffler?
I obtained this muffler a while ago, but have no idea...
rodco
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™