manual furrower/hiller

dalepresApril 12, 2010

I just made hills and furrows in my garden for the first time. Both hills and valleys are atrocious to look at. :)

I remember my grandparents and even my parents when I was young had gardens with perfectly straight rows and furrows just the right width and straight and level. We even used to water by simply filling the furrows.

So how do I do that? Obviously my shovel was not the right tool. I am thinking of some kind of furrower behind a metal wheel or something. It sure seems like I have seen those before.

Of course if I could find one to fit my 10 year old Sears rear-tine tiller, that would be better but either way would be great.

Any ideas? On the manual or maybe a universal fit tiller attached?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi Dale,

I have an old furrower my grandfather gave me. It looks a lot like a current model Glaser Wheel hoe, which I also have. I imagine your grandparents laid out the garden with string between two stakes and used a wheel hoe to make straight furrows. With practice, you could get the trenches to slightly slope in order to water the garden with them. That, or they were deep enough and they used enough water that it didn't matter if they were of an uneven depth.

    Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 7:30AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
IS it ME ? OR is this site/Forum Gone in hibernation?
This used to be such an informative and active site!!...
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™