Two good lessons learned being new to log splitters:

loger_gwApril 6, 2012

Two good lessons learned being new to log splitters:

1. Keep your fingers clear of un-split challenging logs. I backed off and the log popped off the wedge with my finger wedged in the log. I never had one to close that tight after attempting to split it. Screaming for a leverage bar finally got my finger out w/o any noticeable damage. The nail is not dark w/o any swelling or pain but it has only been 36 hrs.

2. Install the hydraulic fluid filter per the instruction vs tweaking. I thought I w/n get the filter off vs damaging or breaking the aluminum filter mounts. I was adding a coupling to the mount with a tighter fit w/o breakage. The gasket sealed or swelled like I h/n seen on an engine vs an aluminum casting plumed in. There was no tweaking after the hand tightening afterwards.

There is no end to learning but keep it safe with someone close or checking on you if possible. loger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14(W/PA)

Ahh, yes--the problems that callous youth seem to have! But, as Rome wasn't built in a day, and as things are learned best by "doing", i suppose you might make it in this world with all of yer appendages. i.e. Fingers, toes, feet, ears, etc. Why ears? If your mother was like mine-every time i goofed, she had a firm grip on one or the other of them!
Of course, i lost my left foot in war-time, and the tip of my right first finger too, but i learned how to overcome those injuries, and how to work around them.
Hopefully, you will learn about the dangers inherent to everything you might want to try. My advice is to have eyes in the back of yer head, and wear steel toed shoes, and watch wwhere ya put yer hands, feet, and fingers!
BT/DT: Rusty Jones

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 2:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

Thanks, Very Good Advice! Plus, I'm learning that wood that is matted or not clean grain can be unpredictable when you are trying to force it to split. I have respected this in some obvious cases and sawed the wood into blocks to burn. loger

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
Craftsman Snowblower Recall
Did anyone else receive a recall notice in the mail...
pjrsjr
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
2-cycle engine troubleshooting
My 2-cycle blower cannot be started. There is a hot...
slim50
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™