sterile foxgloves

Campanula UK Z8May 2, 2013

Anyone growing either the new(ish) digitalis x isoplexis cross or the Polly/Pippa/Princess perennial foxgloves - particularly interested in length of blooming, number of smaller spikes, general health and vigour?
How about the Dalmation series - shorter, perennial foxgloves in cream, purple, white, peach. Are they very similar to the Camelot series?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

Hi Campanula,

I was hoping someone would be able to answer this for you. It seems many of these newer foxgloves are not yet available across the pond. 'Goldcrest' is just starting to show up in nurseries and the few blooms I have seen look charming. I am tempted to try it but I was hoping others would chime in with the experiences with these plants.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:36PM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

I had 'Goldcrest' in my garden for several years -- it was okay...

My guess is that we'll start to see the new Digiplexis Illumination plants later this year.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 6:51AM
Ruth_MI(z5MI)

I planted "Polkadot Princess" last year. They weren't as tall as Excelsiors, but did put up bloom stalks throughout the summer. All bloom stalks after the initial bloom were much, much shorter.

Most plants made it though the winter, and it looks like each plant now has several new crowns around the base of last year's rosette (which is now dead). At the moment, it looks like they won't be blooming with the rest of the digitalis in the garden, but I'll have to wait until the digitalis are in bloom to be sure of "who's who."

I want to see what they do this year before I form an opinion. My guess is that they'll have a place in my garden, but it won't be the same place that the tall spires of the Excelsiors will. OTOH, I haven't found a spot in my garden where I can consistently grow the Excelsiors, so the vigor of the sterile foxgloves might count for a lot.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Are Agapanthus hardy in zone 6
Does anyone have experience growing agapanthus in zone...
KarenPA_6b
daves10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™