Rose Beetles

BobMixonApril 15, 2014

Greetings All,

I have been having a lot of problems with beetles in my white roses. I used Bayer Advanced Rose & Flower Insect Killer but they come back, in forces, every night.

Any suggestions on what I can use to get rid of them permanently?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Zyperiris(Seattle)

My idea would be to stop killing them because you are also killing the predators that eat them.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:33AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Use a strong spray of water to wash them off the canes and buds. Soon, predators will appear and finish off the job.

By "beetles," do you mean "aphids"--which are commonly plaguing roses about this time of the year?

Kate

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:10PM
jacqueline9CA

Bob - can you post a picture of the beetles? Where are you geographically? I ask because different critters live in different places. Here on the West Coast we have a horrid one called "rose curculio beetles". They are the size and color of ladybugs, except they have long black snouts.

In other places, they have Japanese beetles which eat roses, which are much bigger. To help, we need to find out what kind of beetles or bugs you are talking about.

Jackie

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 2:50PM
henryinct

This is not the time of year for beetles in most of the country. In CT I never sprayed because it didn't work and I didn't want to kill the honey bees. Here in Pasadena right now we have no beetles so I wonder what you are talking about. Perhaps you could describe these beetles.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 3:28PM
seil zone 6b MI

Without a picture of the insect in question there is no way to correctly ID it. Without a positive ID there is no way we can tell you how to deal with it.

Do not just use insect spray without knowing what insect you have. You may be wasting your time and money on a product not meant for the problem at hand. And you may be killing your predators as others have said. That will only lead to a greater problem down the road.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Tons of bugs on newly planted roses
So it's been alittle over 2 weeks now and I'm noticing...
bruin27
Fire ants. Friend or foe?
I have fire ants here and there, but they seem to be...
jkellydallas
First bloom on a new bush - I like it !!
Crescendo - A new one for me. Hope it always looks...
suebelle_neworleans
Speckled canes?
Hi all, I was out looking at all the lovely new growth...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
Garden Plan Advice
First off, thanks to everyone for the huge wealth of...
My Name
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™