stihl 028 super smokes when hot

shermersMay 23, 2010

Hi I have a 25 year old stihl 028 super that I love and wonder if it is worth saving.

It still cuts great, but when it gets hot, white smoke comes out from under the sprocket cover. I also can't adjust the carb so that it will idle properly when cold, but not run the chain when hot. Is this all my inablility to propery adjust the carb, or do I have other problems?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ubique(Pac NW)

Sounds to me like an air leak. I have had that happen (not the smoke part) with a Craftsman and my small Husky 36. In both cases it was air leaking into the crankcase and , because of the way 2 stroke engines draw fuel through the crankcase, it upsets the whole air/fuel thing.
I used the Crafstman for a trainign aid by cutting it up and I'm about to garbage the Husky. In my experience, unless you are a very infrequent user, it does not pay to buy cheap. My next small saw will be a Stihl arbourist model.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 12:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andyma_gw

I have 2 33 yr old 041 Farm bosses. If you have the manual still, try ordering the seals. Or mebbe find diagrams on line. The old stuff has good build quality and is wicked easy to work on.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
Any Good Electric Brushcutter?
I have a small area, my lot is just 1/2ac and less...
InFlux
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
2-cycle engine troubleshooting
My 2-cycle blower cannot be started. There is a hot...
slim50
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™